The time has finally come to cast your ballot.
While the 2019 provincial election has been officially announced for Tuesday, April 16, advance voting has begun as of this Tuesday, April 9 and will run until Saturday, April 13.
- These are the advance voting stations where you can get a free doughnut
- Here are the campaign platforms for Alberta's main political parties
- Here's how to get a lawn sign for the 2019 provincial election
The hours at advance polls are the same as on election day, as they are open from 9 am to 8 pm.
The 2019 election is allowing Albertans to advance vote at any station open from April 9 to 13, though if you wait until April 16 you will have to vote at your designated station.
Advance voting stations can be found by using Election Alberta’s map tool and imputing your location (does not need to be your home address) and it will find the closest advance voting location.
The same tool can be used to find your designated voting station for if you are voting on April 16.
Did you know that you can now vote at any Advance Poll location in #Alberta between April 9-13? It’s true!
— Elections Alberta (@ElectionsAB) April 9, 2019
During last year’s Olympics plebiscite in Calgary, the advance voting polls showed a larger turnout than in either the 2017 or 2013 Calgary mayoral election, with over 50,000 Calgarians casting a ballot before the official election day even began.
According to Elections Alberta, a total of 235,410 voters cast their ballots prior to the 2015 provincial election, which was an increase of 31% over the 2012 provincial election.
Advance voters in Calgary could even get a sweet surprise for casting an early ballot, as the group Democracy Donuts plans to give out free doughnuts to voters at five advance vote stations in Calgary.
Here’s the schedule for where they’ll be this week:
- Tuesday: April 9: Kerby Centre — 1133 7th Avenue SE at 11 am
- Wednesday, April 10: Marda Loop Community Association — 3130 16th Street SW at 6 pm
- Thursday, April 11: VIVO — 11950 Country Village Link NE at noon
- Friday, April 12: SAIT Stan Grad Centre — 1301 16th Avenue NW at 11 am
- Saturday, April 13: TBD
If you do plan on casting an early ballot, make sure that you bring all the identification you need by checking out our 2019 provincial election voting guide.