Earlier this week, Vancouver City Council approved a highly modest mixed-use redevelopment just west of Metro Vancouver’s busiest transit hub.
A rezoning application to redevelop the site at 1610-1651 East Broadway with a 106-ft-tall, 10-storey building received the permission it required to proceed to further stages of planning.
The site is near the northwest corner of the intersection of East Broadway and Commercial Drive, and just across from the Rio Theatre. The redevelopment takes over a vacant lot and replaces an existing three-storey residential building.
There will be a total of 93 residential units, including 47 secured market rental units, and 46 market strata units. The unit mix is 30 studio units, 30 one-bedroom units, 26 two-bedroom units, and seven three-bedroom units.
The ground-floor will also offer a single commercial unit with an area of 5,245 sq. ft.. To support the residences and business, there will be 75 underground parking spaces and 117 bike parking spaces.
Overall, the project will have a floor area of 63,000 sq. ft. on the 15,700 sq. ft. site, giving the building a floor space ratio (FSR) density of 4.0 FSR.
The site is just one block away from the major Commercial-Broadway Station transit hub and was considered under the City’s Grandview-Woodland Community Plan, which is expected to spur considerable redevelopment in the neighbourhood over the coming years.
So far, the largest project proposed to date in the immediate area is the redevelopment of the Safeway site next to the SkyTrain station with four towers reaching up to 24 storeys in height.
- 10-storey building with 93 homes proposed for Commercial-Broadway
- The Rio Theatre gets mortgage approved in #SaveTheRio campaign
- 'Vertical village' proposed for Commercial-Broadway Station's Safeway redevelopment
- New plaza over Grandview Cut envisioned for Commercial-Broadway Station
- Rental homes and retail to replace The Black Lodge restaurant on Kingsway
- Redevelopment possible for Commercial-Broadway Station retail buildings
- Wendy's at the corner of Cambie and Broadway listed for sale for potential redevelopment
- Vancouver reveals its desired design requirements for Broadway Subway
- These are the 6 stations of the Broadway Subway in Vancouver (VISUALS)
- This Mount Pleasant development is being built around an old house
- West Broadway Denny's to be redeveloped into rental housing and retail