Rental homes and retail to replace The Black Lodge restaurant on Kingsway
A rezoning application has been submitted to the City to develop a mixed-use building near the southwest corner of the intersection of Kingsway and Fraser Street in East Vancouver.
The proposed six-storey, 69-ft-tall building at 610-644 Kingsway will replace a number of small businesses, including the original location of The Black Lodge restaurant, which recently opened a second location at 317 East Broadway.
Designed by Studio One Architecture, the project includes six retail units on the ground floor, totaling 7,151 sq. ft. of commercial area and 53 secured market rental units within the upper floors.
The unit mix is nine studio units, 19 one-bedroom units, 19 two-bedroom units, and six three-bedroom units.
Altogether, the new building will have a total floor area of 52,000 sq. ft. on its irregular, pie-shape site, spanning about 13,800 sq. ft. Its floor space ratio (FSR) density is 3.75.
Two levels of underground parking, totalling 40 stalls, are planned.
“A slight bent of Kingsway in this location provide an opportunity for distinct treatment of the front façade,” reads the architect’s design rationale.
“Proposed robust asymmetrical building forms of the upper residential levels will acknowledge, approaching from both directions, this bent point of Kingsway.”
This project is being considered under the municipal government’s Secured Market Rental Housing (Rental 100) Policy.
- Crowdfunding campaign launched to raise $1.5M to save The Rio Theatre
- Kitsilano's Hollywood Theatre to be saved by adjacent redevelopment
- Kitsilano Salvation Army thrift store to be redeveloped into rental housing
- Former gas station at 10th Avenue and Alma to be redeveloped
- 18-storey rental tower included in new Vancouver Masonic Centre
- Condo towers proposed for Cambie Street and 59th Avenue
- New market housing project proposed for South Granville