The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) will be taking to the stage at Sunset Beach Park in downtown Vancouver’s West End this summer for the first-ever Symphony at Sunset event.
The free, outdoor concert backdropped by English Bay is scheduled for Saturday, July 14 and is part of the VSO’s lineup of summertime outdoor concerts to celebrate its 100th anniversary. Such events are usually large draws; an attendance of 7,000 people is expected.
“We are thrilled to kick off the VSO’s 100th Anniversary Celebrations in partnership with the Vancouver Park Board in a setting that will combine the scenic assets of our city with the cultural assets of our symphony,” said Kelly Tweeddale, President of the Vancouver Symphony Society and VSO School of Music.
“In the great cities of the world, free concerts like this become a place where families can come together and experience the magnitude of a symphony performance and build lasting traditions. As we embark on the VSO’s next century, we hope that this will become a Vancouver tradition.”
A pre-event begins at 7:15 pm with student ensembles by the VSO School of Music. This will be followed by the main event performed by the VSO from 8:30 pm to 10 pm, with the orchestra playing symphonic hits such as Leonard Bernstein, excerpts from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons and John Williams’ scores to Star Wars. Food trucks will also be present at the site for the event.
Other VSO summer concerts are slated for Whistler Olympic Plaza (June 30 to July 1) and Deer Lake Park in Burnaby (July 8).
Past outdoor symphony events in the city have been held at Jack Poole Plaza and Brockton Oval in Stanley Park.
When: Saturday, July 14, 2018
Time: 7:15 pm to 10 pm (VSO performance begins at 8:30 pm)
Where: Sunset Beach Park, Vancouver
- The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra is hosting a free outdoor concert this summer
- Harry Potter Concert Series returning to Vancouver this summer
- National Geographic's Symphony for our World tour is coming to Vancouver this fall
- Canada Day fireworks to light up downtown Vancouver skies
- Honda Celebration of Light 2018 participating countries announced
- Adults-only, after-dark parties are coming to Playland this summer
- First look at Disney's Science Behind Pixar exhibition at Science World (PHOTOS)
- See the Titanic up close and personal at this new Metro Vancouver exhibit