Metro Vancouver will soon have a second MUJI flagship store through the expansion of the company’s first location in the region.
According to Retail Insider, the MUJI store at Metropolis at Metrotown shopping mall will grow by over 50%, with its floor area increasing from 7,770-sq-ft to 12,305-sq-ft.
This will be just shy of the Robson Street flagship location’s size of 14,507-sq-ft, which is the largest MUJI store outside of Asia.
Plans for the expansion were developed well in advance before the Metrotown store’s one-year anniversary, as it opened in August 2017. By taking over three adjacent retail units, it will become the second largest MUJI store within North America.
The report also noted that MUJI is considering expanding its other store at CF Richmond Centre. With the Metrotown store expansion, there is an aim to replicate the flagship store experience offered by the Robson Street location.
These expansions are being quickly pursued due to the high sales performance of the suburban stores.
Japanese companies have been transforming the region’s fashion retail market in recent years.
MUJI is, of course, accompanied by UNIQLO, which has opened three stores in Metro Vancouver to date, including its first and largest store at Metrotown. Smaller stores at Guildford Town Centre and CF Richmond Centre followed earlier this year, and a fourth location will open at Coquitlam Centre this fall.
In downtown Vancouver, construction work is underway to expand the flagship H&M store at Pacific Centre from 28,000-sq-ft to more than 38,000-sq-ft through the takeover of the mall’s lower floor retail units between the former Coach and Geox spaces.
- Inside the largest MUJI store outside of Asia on Robson Street in Vancouver (PHOTOS)
- Metro Vancouver's first MUJI store now officially open (PHOTOS)
- Huge lines at Vancouver's first UNIQLO store on opening day (PHOTOS)
- 21 photos inside Vancouver's first UNIQLO store
- UNIQLO CEO confident in Vancouver's gateway market
- Walmart Supercentre opening at Metropolis at Metrotown mall this year
- Inside the world's largest Herschel Supply store in Vancouver (PHOTOS)