After about three years of being left vacant, a large store space at Metropolis at Metrotown shopping centre is set to become a new Walmart Supercentre store.
The store will occupy the 117,000 sq. ft. space of the former Target store, which closed in 2015 after the chain’s brief nationwide expansion.
It is located within the eastern wing of the shopping centre, with Central Boulevard as its nearest street. The street front entrance built by Target, which provides a more direct route to SkyTrain’s Metrotown Station, will be utilized as a secondary entrance.
The new store at Metropolis at Metrotown is set for a fall 2018 opening.
This shopping centre is already home to two large supermarkets – Loblaws’ Superstore and one of T&T Supermarket’s biggest locations in the country. There are also two other grocery stores in the vicinity, including a PriceSmart within the adjacent Station Square redevelopment and a Save-On-Foods at the northwest corner of the intersection of Kingsway and Willingdon Avenue.
Across the Lower Mainland, there are 20 Walmart store locations, including one other location in Burnaby within Lougheed Town Centre.
Two years ago, Walmart opened a new 163,000 sq. ft. Supercentre location within the new Central at Garden City shopping centre, located east of Lansdowne Centre in Richmond.
- Grocery store chain with food court, arcade, and playground plans Canadian expansion
- Canada's largest T&T Supermarket to open at Lansdowne Centre in Richmond
- T&T Supermarket to open at Kensington Gardens in East Vancouver this year
- Save-On-Foods to open in Steveston Village in Richmond
- Loblaws planning to sell recreational cannabis on the east coast
- Google now providing real time updates on grocery store checkout lines
- Korean grocery chain H-Mart expanding into Vancouver Westside with two new stores
- Loblaw will close 22 unprofitable stores by the end of 2018
- Numerous Safeway stores in Metro Vancouver slated for closure