Another major redevelopment is planned for North Vancouver’s emerging Lions Gate Village area.
Local developer Marvel Group has submitted a rezoning application to the District of North Vancouver to redevelop the 1.6-acre site near the northwest corner of Marine Drive and Capilano Road – right on the municipal border with West Vancouver near the northern end of the Lions Gate Bridge.
The site at 2050-2070 Marine Drive is currently occupied by Denny’s Restaurant, Travelodge Hotel, Pho Japanese Restaurant, and the parking lot of the now-closed Earls Restaurant.
Three buildings totalling 299 homes are proposed for the project; a 29-storey tower consists of 208 market condominium units, a six-storey building contains 56 market condominium units, and a four-storey building has 35 affordable rental apartments. Podiums attached to the two tallest proposed buildings contain townhouses.
Two floors of underground parking are proposed for the project.
In addition, as part of the project, a new public park will be constructed on Curling Road at the northeast corner of the site. About one-third of the required land for the park was provided by the adjacent Grouse Inn redevelopment, which was approved by the municipality last month. The park’s remaining two-thirds area will be provided by Marvel Group from its Travelodge Hotel and Denny’s Restaurant site.
At this early stage, park features could potentially include an “adventure playground” and a “passive recreation area.”
Access into the residential complex will be through a new east-west local road crossing through the site.
Over half a dozen major tower redevelopments are planned for the immediate area, and this does not include mid-rise buildings and a new townhouse neighbourhood to the north of the site.
The project is wedged by the Pacific Gate Investments’ Grouse Inn redevelopment to the east, Darwin Development’s Earls Restaurant redevelopment to the west, and LARCO’s Lions Gate Towers redevelopment to the north.
- Two condo towers approved to replace Grouse Inn Hotel at north end of Lions Gate Bridge in North Vancouver
- This is what will replace the Earls restaurant near the Lions Gate Bridge
- New townhouse neighbourhood with over 270 homes proposed for North Vancouver
- West Vancouver approves condo towers for Park Royal South parking lot
- 784 homes and new recreation centre proposed for Harry Jerome Lands
- Cineplex announces plans for new massive VIP cinema at Park Royal in West Vancouver
- Two towers with 162 homes proposed for Lonsdale in North Vancouver
- Lonsdale waterfront's new outdoor ice rink and plaza at The Shipyards to open in 2019
- Residential redevelopment proposed for North Shore Winter Club
- Grosvenor Ambleside's first building with flagship Earls restaurant now complete (PHOTOS)