West Vancouver Council approved one of the largest residential redevelopments near the waterfront area of the municipality earlier this week.
Park Royal South shopping mall’s large ground-level parking lot – at the southwest corner of the intersection of Marine Drive and Taylor Way – will be transformed into a two-tower mixed-use redevelopment project, now that district councillors have green-lighted the project’s revised rezoning in a 4-3 vote.
The East Tower is 14 storeys with a height of 156 ft. and the West Tower is shorter at 11 storeys with a height of 125 ft.
There will be 201 new homes, including 141 units for market housing, 49 units for market rental housing, and 11 units for non-market supportive units.
Other uses within the base of the towers consist of a 3,400 sq. ft. daycare and 11,436 sq. ft. of commercial space.
Supplementing the towers will also be a separate building with 9,627 sq. ft. of commercial space over two storeys.
Plans are to build significant public spaces surrounding the new buildings, including a public plaza, landscaping, and generous pedestrian connections between the street, development, and adjacent shopping centre buildings.
To support the proposed density of 2.25 times the size of the site area (FSR), there will be 254 parking spaces and 285 secured bike parking spaces within underground levels.
Over the past few years, the area has seen major renovations and expansions. Later this year, Cineplex will also open a new theatre complex in the area with 11 screens featuring UltraAVX, VIP Cinemas, and traditional cinema screens.
- Two residential towers proposed for Park Royal South's parking lot (RENDERINGS)
- Cineplex announces plans for new massive VIP cinema at Park Royal in West Vancouver
- This is what will replace the Earls restaurant near the Lions Gate Bridge
- New townhouse neighbourhood with over 270 homes proposed for North Vancouver
- Two condo towers approved to replace Grouse Inn Hotel at north end of Lions Gate Bridge in North Vancouver
- 784 homes and new recreation centre proposed for Harry Jerome Lands
- Two towers with 162 homes proposed for Lonsdale in North Vancouver
- Lonsdale waterfront's new outdoor ice rink and plaza at The Shipyards to open in 2019
- Residential redevelopment proposed for North Shore Winter Club