Another year, and even more accolades.
Vancouver International Airport (YVR) has been ranked the seventh best airport in the world by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler (CNT). This annual global list by the travel publication, based on a survey of over 400,000 readers, takes out airports in the United States out of the contention (US airports rarely rank highly, anyway).
The West Coast airport is the only Canadian airport to be ranked in CNT’s list.
This is how CNT described YVR Airport:
Although it’s not the busiest airport in Canada (that distinction goes to Toronto’s Pearson airport), Vancouver International is certainly one of the most unusual, with a location on an island off Vancouver’s downtown area, along with a floatplane terminal, and passenger attractions including what’s billed as the world’s largest collection of Northwest Coast Native art. The top-ranked Fairmont hotel connected to the terminals is an added plus for travelers transiting the hub en route to Asia.
However, YVR’s passenger numbers have been experiencing stunning growth in recent years, heightening the airport’s status from a mid-size hub towards becoming a large global hub.
Forecasts show there is every indication YVR will reach 31 million passengers per year by 2022. It is already well ahead of schedule in its target of reaching 25 million passengers by 2020; last year, it reached 24.16 million passengers – up from 22.3 million in 2016.
The airport has consecutively earned numerous accolades from international aviation and travel industry organizations and publications, ranking highly on global lists and being named the ‘Best North American Airport’.
Top 10 airports in the world in 2018 by Condé Nast Traveler
- Singapore Changi Airport
- Dubai International Airport
- Incheon International Airport
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Munich Airport
- Zurich Airport
- Vancouver International Airport
- Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
- London Heathrow Airport
- Frankfurt Airport
- World Airport Awards name YVR top airport in North America
- YVR ranked as one of the 30 ‘Most Impressive’ airports in the world
- Vancouver International Airport embarks on $9.1-billion expansion
- New study ranks YVR in top 10 for 'large airport' satisfaction
- This good dog scares birds off YVR's runways to keep you safe (PHOTOS)
- YVR ranked world's 27th most connected 'megahub' airport
- Vancouver International Airport will see 31 million passengers per year by 2022
- Opinion: Satellite aircraft gates at YVR Airport will add another layer of frustration for travellers