With less than two weeks to go before the municipal election across British Columbia, it’s anyone’s guess who will become Vancouver’s next mayor.
Last week, in an online poll conducted by Research Co. for Daily Hive, nearly 50% of millennials (18 to 34) in the City said they were unsure of who to vote for.
Advance voting opens tomorrow, October 10, and because of the lack of information voters have to make a decision, turnout could mimic that of 2014. In that municipal election, 2/3 of people under the age of 34 decided not to vote, letting baby boomers dictate our future.
To help gather information and make a decision, Daily Hive is holding a live Vancouver Mayoral Debate tomorrow, October 10, at 7 pm. It’ll be a real conversation about issues young people care about.
But in order to have that real conversation, we needed to narrow down the list of candidates taking part – there’s no way the 21 people running for mayor could fit on our stage.
We looked at two factors when narrowing down the list: who millennials would vote for today and, holding more weight, who they wanted to know more about.
The online poll last week gave us a unanimous decision of who the front-runners are.
- Kennedy Stewart (Independent)
- Hector Bremner (YES Vancouver)
- Shauna Sylvester (Independent)
- Ken Sim (NPA)
A majority (66%) of young Vancouverites wanted to know more about these four candidates than any other, and so they will be the ones participating in our debate.
Have your say
Want to have your question asked during the debate? Take our survey below and weigh in.
*Findings from this survey are used by Daily Hive exclusively for journalistic purposes and will not be sold to third parties.
Request a seat
While in person seating at the debate is limited, there are a number of spaces open. Request a seat here and if there’s space you’ll get an email by Wednesday morning with information on how to secure your free ticket.
RSVP to the Facebook event
Be notified when the event starts so you don’t miss out on any of the action. RSVP here.
- Where Vancouver's mayoral candidates stand on housing affordability and supply
- Vancouver mayoral candidate Hector Bremner wants to 're-humanize' neighbourhoods
- Vancouver mayoral candidate Ken Sim wants to 'turn the ship around'
- Vancouver mayoral candidate Shauna Sylvester wants to 'embrace innovation'
- Daily Hive is hosting a Vancouver Mayoral Debate to talk about what millennials actually care about