Two houses in Vancouver designed by famed, local architect, the late Arthur Erickson are now listed on the market.
The better-known property, called Hwang House, located on a 10,500-sq-ft lot at 1299 West 57th Avenue, has an asking price of $5.498 million.
The three-storey, 4,645-sq-ft home was constructed in 1982, and it has four bedrooms, five bathrooms, basement recreation room, sky-lit hallway, and naturally-finished wooden structure poles. Some interior aspects of the house, such as the washrooms, were recently renovated.
According to the Arthur Erickson Foundation, the property was designed to acknowledge the ancestry of the architect’s client, the Hwang family, and the native traditions of the Soo Chow houses of Northern China.
“There are continuous skylights at both the edges of the roof on the long axis of the plan, which, on the north, wash the two storey ochre stucco wall in the living room and the stairwell with natural light and, on the south, bring light behind stucco panels into bathrooms and behind movable wood screens to the deck areas of the second storey bedrooms,” reads the Foundation’s description of the house.
Perhaps the most stunning feature of the property is its exterior – the expansive courtyards and gardens. There are different courtyard experiences separated by tall stuccoed walls, and between the fence and the courtyards are undulating planted mounts that are “symbolic of the Soo Chow hillscape.”
There is also a large reflecting pool with lilies and water iris, fully capable of becoming the healthy habitat for koi, lionfish, and turtles. Natural light from this pool reflects into the recreation room below the dining room in the basement.
Some of Erickson’s largest local designs include the Robson Square Law Courts, Trump International Hotel & Tower Vancouver, Simon Fraser University’s campus atop Burnaby Mountain, and the Museum of Anthropology at UBC.
- New mansion in the British Properties comes with pool and tennis court (PHOTOS)
- This $3.75 million luxury home used to be a BC Electric substation (PHOTOS)
- Take a self-guided virtual tour of this $16.5 million home in West Vancouver
- This 'castle' in East Vancouver is for sale for $2.298 million (PHOTOS)
- This $9.8-million Metro Vancouver home includes an Olympic-sized horse riding ring (PHOTOS)
- Oprah Winfrey buys $10.7-million home on island near BC Lower Mainland (PHOTOS)