We’re calling bullsh*t.
In its 2016 Readers’ Choice Awards survey, Condé Nast Traveler placed Toronto as just the 37th best city in the world. Hell, it seems like we were lucky to make the 40-city list at that point.
More than 100,000 readers were polled and in the end this is all the 6ix was given:
Toronto sits on Lake Ontario’s northwestern shore, and can lay claim to being one of the most multicultural cities on the planet—more than 140 languages are spoken here. A big city with a small-town feel, Ontario’s capital wins points for its abundant green space, galleries, rising food scene, and offshore islands.
Yes, we’re aware that we’re saying voters are wrong. And yes, we know that sounds ridiculous. But “well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
And this is ours.
Not to mention, Vancouver was voted number six in the world (yes, our number). So clearly Conde Nast’s voters have either never been to Toronto or 90% of them live in Vancouver. (Besides, we know what we think of those west coasters.)
Either way, here are 37 great reasons Toronto should have been voted the best city in the world.
1. It’s October and it still feels like summer
2. We have more than 50 cool things to do that (can) involve putting a costume on.
4. Even our dogs get behind what’s happening in the city.
5. We support our friends (even when they’re acting like idiots).
6. Our hospitals deal with sickness like this.
7. We take vegan to the next level.
8. Babe Ruth hit his first home run here. For real.
9. We have one of the most iconic buildings (and skylines) in the world.
10. We’re one of the most sustainable cities in all of North America.
11. We’re the most Instagrammable city in Canada.
12. We believe in taking what’s bad here and turning into something f*cking awesome.
13. We surf.
14. We’re beautiful no matter what the season.
15. We have some of the best shopping in the entire world.
16. We have a Poop Cafe.
17. We take care of our neighbours and welcome them with open arms.
18. We have a THREE WEEK Chocolate Festival.
19. Even Adele got on our bandwagon.
20. Google told the world we’re must-see.
21. We have a castle. A CASTLE. And it knows how to get into the spirit of things.
22. You can get a Thanksgiving sandwich here…all year round.
23. We have awesome companies. And they’re hiring.
24. Pumpkin spice EVERYTHING.
25. We have the best university in Canada. (And it’s 27th in the entire world.)
27. Our fashion bloggers are on fire.
28. Not to mention, have you seen our models!?
29. We know how to throw a holiday market.
30. Our food truck scene will leave you drooling and hungry for more.
31. The Economist (and they’re pretty smart) thinks we’re the 4th most liveable city in the entire world.
32. We believe in Uber.
33. Our ink game is on point.