The Province of Ontario confirms there are 41 more COVID-19 related deaths and 344 new cases, as of Friday morning.
This marks an slight decrease in new cases compared to Thursday’s 383.
The province has also been ramping up testing over the last two days.
There were 18,525 tests done from the previous day — some of the highest numbers of tests so far.
On Thursday, 17,615 tests were completed.
This marks an increase from Wednesday’s 15,133 and Tuesday’s 9,875 completed tests.
Premier Doug Ford wanted the province to test 16,000 people daily starting on May 6. Testing had been falling short recently, until the last two days.
According to the Minister of Health’s office, an increase in asymptomatic testing in Ontario is already underway.
Ford is expected to unveil a new testing strategy later on Friday.
To date, a total of 680,687 have been tested across Ontario.
The province’s total is now 27,210 but 77.1% of the cases have been resolved, with 20,983 patients recovered.
A total of 2,230 people have died from coronavirus in Ontario, and there are 13,351 cases currently under investigation.
- See also:
According to the Public Health Ontario Daily Epidemiologic Summary (iPHIS), there are 190 outbreaks in long-term care homes, with 1,412 resident deaths. Around 18.3% of cases in all of Ontario come from these facilities.
However, the Ministry of Long-Term Care Daily Report says there have been 123 outbreaks reported in long-term care homes with 1,625 resident deaths.
According to Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario relies on local public health units to report on the coronavirus, both in the community and in long-term care homes, through iPHIS, in which there is a delay in the data being received.
At the same time, the Ministry of Long-Term Care has started collecting information about coronavirus in long-term care homes through its network of inspectors.
On Tuesday, Ford said the province is investigating long-term care homes after reports from military members helping in long-term care homes show “heartbreaking and horrific” concerns.
The provincial government will also take over five more long-term care homes that Ford is “most concerned” about and will perform “rigorous inspections” of 13 more homes over the next three weeks.
The Greater Toronto Area public health units account for more than half of the cases at 65.8%.
Of the total cases, 43.4% are male and 55.7% are female, with 40.2% of cases age 60 years and older.
To date, there are 826 hospitalized, with 129 in ICU, and 100 patients on ventilators.
The daily summary is based on data reported by the 34 public health units across Ontario and recorded in the province’s integrated Public Health Information System, according to the Ontario government.
iPHIS is the Ministry of Health’s disease reporting system where data is regularly updated, and where each daily summary is pulled at 4 pm the previous day.
Last week, the province also entered Stage 1 of its framework to reopen the economy, allowing certain businesses and recreational activities to reopen. Despite this though, Ford’s government extended its emergency orders for another 10 days to help stop the spread of the virus.
The emergency orders were previously extended to May 29, and now are currently in force until June 9, 2020.