Ontario’s Minister of Labour, Training, and Skills Development said that details on reopening the province’s economy will come next week.
On Friday, Monte McNaughton told reporters that Premier Doug Ford would be making an announcement “very soon” on the eventual easing of COVID-19 restrictions and restart of work for many.
“We’re seeing the numbers going down,” McNaughton said. “We’re moving toward reopening the economy, and the premier is going to further communicate that next week.”
Ontario has been under a second state of emergency since January 12, and a stay-at-home order since January 14. Both measures are set to expire next week.
- See also
However, earlier this week, Ontario’s top doctor said that businesses would likely remain locked down until ICU numbers dropped below 150. Currently, more than 300 people are in the ICU.
“There’s light at the end of the tunnel,” McNaughton said. “The premier is going to let people know very soon about the reopening of the economy to get people back to work.”
To date, Ontario has seen 275,330 COVID-19 cases and 6,438 virus-related deaths.