Ontario reports just under 3,000 new COVID-19 cases, 100 more deaths

Jan 15 2021, 7:39 am

The Government of Ontario confirmed 2,998 new COVID-19 cases on Friday morning and 100 more virus-related deaths.

However, the Ministry of Health said 46 of them were from earlier in the pandemic due to a reporting error at Middlesex-London public health unit.

Friday’s numbers are a decrease from Thursday’s 3,326, but an increase from Wednesday’s 2,961, and Tuesday’s 2,903.

Prior to January 12, cases had been above 3,000 for over a week, with Monday’s 3,338, Sunday’s 3,945, Saturday’s 3,443, Friday’s record-breaking 4,249Thursday’s 3,519, Wednesday’s 3,266, Tuesday’s 3,128, and Monday’s 3,270.

Of the newly announced cases, there are 800 in Toronto, 618 in Peel, 250 in York Region, 161 in Waterloo, and 153 in Niagara.

Health Minister Christine Elliott said nearly 76,500 tests were completed.

She added, “As of 8:00 p.m. yesterday, 174,630 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered.”

There are now 14 cases of the UK COVID-19 variant in the province. The fast-spreading virus mutation was first detected in a couple from Durham Region.

Although the new variant of the virus has been found to spread quicker, there is no evidence to suggest that approved vaccines will be any less effective against it.

A second State of Emergency was announced by Premier Doug Ford, who also issued a Stay at Home order, effective January 14. This means everyone must stay home and only go out for essential trips, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing healthcare services, exercising or essential work.

Ontario is also currently under a province-wide lockdown. The restrictions will be evaluated throughout the lockdown, rather than when they are set to expire.

To date, Ontario has seen 231,308 COVID-19 cases and 5,289 deaths.

Clarrie FeinsteinClarrie Feinstein

+ News
+ Coronavirus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT