The Ford government says it’s introducing legislation Thursday to upload Toronto’s TTC subway system to the province, a move that would “make sure new subway lines are built quicker.”
This announcement comes despite ongoing discussions between the province and the city to share responsibility of Toronto’s subway.
On Wednesday, Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek announced the “Getting Ontario Moving Act” will be in introduced in the Legislature on May 2.
“We campaigned on a promise to take action to transform public transit and that is exactly what we are doing,” said Yurek.
“And that is why tomorrow, our Government will introduce legislation that if passed would upload the Toronto subway infrastructure, allowing us to get shovels in the ground and get new subways built faster.”
According to the PCs, the new act will also include measures to “cut red tape and burdensome regulations, save business and taxpayers time and money, and help keep Ontario’s roads among the safest in North America.”
- Advocates petitioning to stop province's upload of Toronto's subway
- Newly revealed map shows Toronto's ambitious plans for transit expansion
- Toronto subway being uploaded to the province should include ‘public consultation’
While the transit upload has been in discussion for months, city councillor Josh Matlow says Mayor John Tory still “doesn’t know what upload means.” Matlow also added that Queen’s Park has been disingenuous during the entire process.
A) The Ford government is introducing legislation to upload our city’s subway, with its land & air rights, even while Toronto “negotiates” at a table and Mayor Tory says he still doesn’t know what upload means. Queen’s Park has been disingenuous & our city’s leadership foolish..
— Josh Matlow (@JoshMatlow) May 1, 2019
“Toronto’s subway is a critical part of our transit network and shouldn’t be separated from its feeder lines. Our transit system, and its assets, is and should be a core part of our city’s overall planning process… Moreover, the province’s suggestion that to build new transit lines, they have to take over our subway, is false.” said Matlow.
“Moreover, the province’s suggestion that to build new transit lines, they have to take over our subway, is false. There’s nothing stopping them from building new lines now.”
Last month, the Ford government revealed their $28.5-billion transit plan for the city, but they have yet to unveil how they plan to upload the subway.