Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for May 11, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has reached 3,013 after announcing 85 more deaths since Sunday afternoon.
As part of his daily briefings from Quebec City, Premier François Legault updated the provincial numbers, confirming 38,469 known cases and 1,838 hospitalizations, 193 of whom are in the ICU.
Currently, a reported 250,528 cases have turned up negative throughout Quebec.
Starting on Monday, all construction sites are returning to activity throughout Quebec.
Residential, institutional, commercial, industrial, and civil engineering will resume, along with public transit and roads and highway work.
Manufacturing companies across the province can also resume operations, providing that “no more than 50 workers are present,” states Quebec’s Cabinet du ministre du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale. Companies with more than 50 employees on site will be authorized to resume operations without restriction starting May 25.
Along with updating Quebec’s coronavirus numbers, François Legault added that the situation in Montreal remains “worrisome.”
As schools and the construction industry reopens throughout Quebec, Legault highlighted how 82 of the province’s newly announced 85 deaths took place in the Greater Montreal area.
He says outside of Montreal, the pandemic is “stable” but calls the situation in Montreal “very difficult.”
On Monday, Quebec becomes the first province in Canada to reopen schools following the shutdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Elementary schools across the province, with the exception of schools within the Montreal metropolitan area and Laval, are reopening to strict guidelines.
Class sizes are restricted to 15 students each, constant physical distancing and frequent hand washing will be enforced, and days will be in large part, spent by children at their desks.
At the end of last month, Starbucks announced its plans to resume operations in as many stores as possible by the end of May.
Now, the coffee giant has revealed what those plans will entail, as the company is on track to open 65% of its locations by the end of this week and resume operations in 85% of stores by the end of May.
The strategy is multi-pronged. Starbucks Canada is asking that customers follow physical distancing and safety protocols recommended by public health officials.
This includes wearing a facial covering when visiting stores “as an added layer of protection for customers and partners.”
The Samuel De Champlain Bridge will continue to show rainbow-colours of support to Montrealers and Canadians until the end of May.
Infrastructure Canada has announced the Champlain Bridge will light up every Sunday from 9 pm to 10 pm until May 31.
Officials remind people to respect public health’s directives including the need to avoid gatherings.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced new financial aid measures for medium and large-sized businesses amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The announcement, made prior to his daily address, was delivered by Finance Minister Bill Morneau and Industry Minister Navdeep Bains. It included a program that helps Canada’s large businesses obtain bridge funding.
“Employers, large and small, are facing challenges due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Our government has their backs,” said Morneau in a statement.