Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for June 1, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has reached 4,661, after announcing 20 more deaths since Sunday afternoon.
There are a reported 295 new known cases of the coronavirus, according to the Santé Quebec website. That brings the confirmed total to 51,354 known cases with 1,185 hospitalizations, 163 of whom are in the ICU.
Currently, a reported 399,497 tests have turned up negative throughout Quebec and over 14,600 cases have been resolved.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced $2.2 billion for municipalities over the coming weeks to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Trudeau said the money will be available through the Gas Tax Fund.
Usually, municipalities receive these payments through two installments each year. But, due to the pandemic, the full 2020/2021 payment will be delivered in June.
Quebec Premier François Legault outlined the province’s plan for its cultural sector to recover from the pandemic on Monday.
Legault says since the situation is “getting better” in Quebec, the government has announced a $400 million budget that will be poured into the province’s theatre, music, movie, film, and art industry.
“It’s the soul of the Quebec people,” he said in French from Montreal. “Quebecers love their artists and we miss them.”
The Samuel De Champlain Bridge will continue to show rainbow-colours of support to Montrealers and Canadians until the end of June.
Infrastructure Canada has announced the Champlain Bridge will light up every Sunday from 9:30 pm to 10:30 pm until June 28.
Officials remind people to respect public health’s directives including the need to avoid gatherings.
Elementary schools across Quebec have been given the go-ahead to host graduating ceremonies, provided the events respect public health guidelines.
Education Minister Jean-Francois Roberge made the announcement on Monday after saying students across the province had been lobbying for one last opportunity to see their peers and teachers.
The ceremonies will include chances for students to pose for photos and sign yearbooks, says Roberge.