The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), has released its annual Top 10 Most Frequently Stolen Vehicles list and revealed that the most commonly stolen vehicles in Alberta are, unsurprisingly, Ford trucks.
According to the report, this year’s 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in IBC’s Alberta region are:
- 2006 Ford F350 SD 4WD PU
- 2005 Ford F250 SD 4WD PU
- 2007 Ford F350 SD 4WD PU
- 2005 Ford F350 SD 4WD PU
- 2006 Ford F250 SD 4WD PU
- 2001 Ford F350 SD 4WD PU
- 2004 Ford F350 SD 4WD PU
- 2003 Ford F350 SD 4WD PU
- 2000 Honda Civic 2DR Hatchback 2D
- 2007 Ford F250 SD 4WD PU
In the past year, Guelph, Ontario reported the largest auto theft activity increase in the country at 49%
To help eliminate auto theft, IBC says motorists can keep their vehicles safe by taking the following steps:
- Never leave your vehicle running when unattended.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- When parking your car, always close the windows and lock the doors.
- Put valuables and packages in the trunk, where they are out of sight.
- Keep your car in the garage at night.
- Don’t leave personal information in the glove box. Take your insurance and ownership documents with you when you park your vehicle.
“It takes less than a minute for a car thief to steal your vehicle,” said Kim Donaldson, vice-president of IBC Ontario.
“If you’ve gone to the trouble of buying a car that has a theft deterrent system, don’t make it easy for thieves by leaving the keys in the car.”