The 2019 Stampede Parade is right around the corner, and as fun as it may be, it can also be a serious hassle if you don’t come prepared!
Streets close down, parking’s a mess, and nabbing that perfect, curbside spot seems near-impossible no matter how early you arrive… But with our handy guide, you may just have the best parade ever.
Here’s everything you need to know to ensure that you enjoy yourself during the 2019 Stampede parade!
- Rainy days ahead to kick off the 2019 Calgary Stampede
- Spark a sizzling hot romance with a rodeo twist at this Stampede event
- Heartland's Amber Marshall to lead this year's Calgary Stampede parade
This one’s something of a given, but you’re not going to get an ideal spot unless you show up at an ideal time.
The parade starts at 9 am, so getting there by 8 am, or even 7 am, is a great way to stake out the best locations. The parade will run along 9th Avenue and 6th Avenue.
If it’s sunny, bring sunscreen and water — sitting outside for hours on a hot Calgary day can be dangerous, so make sure that you’re properly covered and properly hydrated.
However, the weekend forecast is actually calling for rain, so the Calgary Stampede recommends wearing rain gear, though also to leave the umbrella at home. Sure, you’ll stay drier, but if everyone brings an umbrella, no one will be able to see the parade!
Walk or transit into downtown
There’s no day in Calgary more messy for downtown drivers than the first day of the Stampede.
There are plenty of road closures, parking restrictions (see the bottom of this article for an extensive list), and pedestrians running around making for a serious headache — especially if you’re running late.
Do yourself a favour and park a few blocks away from all the commotion, or simply catch a CTrain to get the crew into downtown.
Don’t miss out on the parade prelude
If you’re willing to wake up a little early, there’s actually plenty of fun to be had before the parade event starts!
The parade prelude will feature plenty of on-street entertainment starting as early as 7:30 am, as well as the opportunity to get prime seats for the big show.
Treat yourself to a FREE day at the Stampede
Stampede Grounds admission is free from 11 am to 1:30 pm on parade day to celebrate the start of the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth.
It will, quite obviously, be busy, meaning that potentially leaving the parade a little early might be your best bet to get into the grounds in a timely fashion.
Relax and have fun
The Stampede Parade can feel like such a big event that it’s easy to get stressed out about seating, running late, or parking — but at the end of the day, everyone’s just going there to have some fun with friends and family and to celebrate the city.
Even if you don’t get the best spot, or if you show up a little late because parking was a pain, be sure to take a breath and enjoy the atmosphere that can only be felt at the Calgary Stampede.
Parking restrictions and road closures (via the City of Calgary):
Parade road closures
Beginning at 6 am on Friday, July 5, the following roads will be closed for parade set-up:
- 9 Ave. S.E. between 8 St. S.E. and 3 St. S.E.
- 6 St. S.E. between 7 Ave. S.E. and 9 Ave. S.E.
- 5 St. S.E. between 7 Ave. S.E. and 9 Ave. S.E.
- 6 Ave. S.E. between 3 St. S.E. and 5 St. S.E.
- 7 Ave. S.E. between 4 St. S.E. and 6 St. S.E.
- 8 Ave. S.E. between 4 St. S.E. and 6 St. S.E.
During the parade, the following closures will be in effect from 7:30 am until 2 pm to protect public and pedestrian safety along the whole route:
- 4 St. S.E. between 6 Ave. S.E. and 9 Ave. S.E.
- 3 St. S.E. between 4 Ave. S.E. and 9 Ave. S.E.
- Westbound 6 Ave. from 3 St. S.E. to 11 St. S.W.
- 10 St. S.W. from 6 Ave. S.W. to 9 Ave. S.W.
- Eastbound 9 Ave. from 11 St. S.W. to 3 St. S.E.
- Riverfront Ave. between 1 St. S.E. and 3 St. S.E.
- 6 Ave. from 6 St. S.E. to 10 St. S.W.
- 9 Ave. from 10 St. S.W. to 8 St. S.E.
- The morning connector from Bow Tr. to westbound 5 Ave. S.W. will be open from 6 to 7 a.m. only.
Alternate routes into downtown are as follows:
- Eastbound traffic on 9 Ave. will be directed to 11 St. S.W.
- Motorists are advised to use 5 Ave. or 12 Ave. to bypass the closures.
- Motorists are encouraged to use Blackfoot Tr., Stoney Tr., Crowchild Tr., 16 Ave. and Deerfoot Tr. as alternate routes into downtown.
All roadways are expected to reopen by approximately 2 pm.
Motorists are reminded that vehicles in parkades and residences along these roads will not be able exit until the entire parade is complete and roads are re-opened.
Parking lot closures
During the parade, there will be limited access to several Calgary Parking Authority parkades and surface lots along the parade route. Vehicles entering these lots before the closure times will not be able to exit until the parade is complete and The City of Calgary re-opens the roads.
The following lots will be closed between 4 pm Thursday, July 4 to Friday, July 5 at 6 pm:
- Lot 55 (724 – 4 St. S.E.)
- Lot 66 (830 – 9 Ave. S.W.)
- Lot 75 (401 – 4 Ave. S.E.)
- Fort Calgary (750 – 9 Ave. S.E.) – will be closed as of 9 a.m. on July 3 through 6 p.m. on July 5
The following lots will be closed between 7:30 am and 2 pm on Friday, July 5
- City Centre Parkade (221 – 9 Ave. S.W. entrance; parkade is accessible via 340 – 10 Ave. S.W. entrance)
- Centennial Parkade (608 – 9 Ave. S.W. and 823 – 5 St. S.W.)
- Convention Centre Parkade (727 – 1 St. S.E.)
- Arts Commons Parkade (829 Macleod Tr. S.E.)
- Lot 7 (208 – 9 Ave. S.W.)
- City Hall Parkade (322 – 9 Ave. S.E.)
On-street ParkPlus zones along the parade route will not be accessible during the parade, but will be in effect once roads re-open.
Visit the Calgary Parking Authority for more information.
Parking restrictions will be in effect from 6 p.m. on Thursday, July 4 to 3 pm on Friday, July 5 on the following roads:
- 6 St. S.E. between 8 Ave. S.E. and 9 Ave.
- 6 St. S.W. between 6 Ave. and 9 Ave. S.W. (west side)
- 7 St. S.W. between 6 Ave. and 9 Ave. S.W. (east side)
- 7 St. S.W. between 6 Ave. and 7 Ave. S.W. (west side)
- 7 St. S.W. between 8 Ave. and 9 Ave. S.W. (west side)
- 9 St. S.W. between 7 Ave. and 9 Ave. S.W. (east side)
- 9 St. S.W. between 6 Ave. and 9 Ave. S.W. (west side)
- Centre St. S. between 7 Ave. and 8 Ave. S.W. (west side)
- 1 St. S.W. between 6 Ave. and 7 Ave. S.W. (west side)
- 2 St. S.W. between 6 Ave. and 8 Ave. S.W. (west side)
- 2 St. S.W. between 7 Ave. and 9 Ave. S.W. (east side)
- 3 St. S.W. between 6 Ave. and 9 Ave. (both sides)
- 6 St. SW between 6 Ave. and 9 Ave. (east side)
Parking restrictions will be in effect from 11:59 pm on Thursday, July 4 to 3:00 pm on Friday, July 5 on the following roads:
- 10 Ave. S.E. between Macleod Tr. and Centre St. (north side)
- 11 Ave. S.E. between 3 St. S.E. and Centre St. (north side)
- 11 Ave. S.E. from Macleod Tr. to 1 St. S.E. (south side)
- 11 Ave. S.W. between Centre St. and 11 St. S.W. (north side)
- 12 Ave. S.W. between 6 St. S.W. and Centre St. (south side)
- 12 Ave. S.E. between Centre St. and 1 St. S.E. (south side)
- 12 Ave. S.W. between 2 St. S.W. and 1 St. S.W. (north side)
- 12 Ave. S.E. between Macleod Tr. and 3 St. S.E.
- The entire block surrounding Queen Elizabeth Junior and Senior High School: 18 St. N.W. and 16A St. N.W. between 6 Ave. and 2 Ave. N.W.