Albertans are heading to the polls in droves.
The 2019 provincial election saw its first day of advance voting on Tuesday, April 10, and Elections Alberta has now released their unofficial count on the number of Albertans that have cast their ballots so far.
- Notley gaining ground on UCP according to recent polls
- Advance voting stations are now open across Alberta
- These are the advance voting stations where you can get a free doughnut
An unprecedented estimated amount of 140,000 votes were cast by the time stations closed out yesterday, with 33,000 being done through Alberta’s new vote anywhere policy, which allows Albertans to cast advance vote ballots from any open station throughout the province.
However, voters will need to attend their designated station if they choose to vote on April 16’s election day.
In comparison, the first day of the 2015 provincial election saw just 58,000 votes, and that year’s entire advance vote week garnered just 235,000 ballots — a total that this year’s election is expected to surpass within its second day.
Those hoping to find an advance voting station this week can do so by using Election Alberta’s map tool and imputing your location (does not need to be your home address) to find the closest station.
The hours are the same as on election day, being open from 9 am to 8 pm.
Advance voters in Calgary could even get a sweet surprise for casting an early ballot, as the group Democracy Donuts plans to give out free doughnuts to voters at five advance vote stations in Calgary.
Here’s the schedule for where they’ll be this week:
- Tuesday: April 9: Kerby Centre — 1133 7th Avenue SE at 11 am
- Wednesday, April 10: Marda Loop Community Association — 3130 16th Street SW at 6 pm
- Thursday, April 11: VIVO — 11950 Country Village Link NE at noon
- Friday, April 12: SAIT Stan Grad Centre — 1301 16th Avenue NW at 11 am
- Saturday, April 13: TBD
If you do plan on casting an early ballot, make sure that you bring all the identification you need by checking out our 2019 provincial election voting guide.