FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
A Future for Memory: Art and Life After the Great East Japan Earthquake, February 11 to September 5, 2021
A new global ranking has deemed Vancouver the ‘wildest’ city in Canada, but this is far from being a flattering assessment.
MoveHub, a research company that provides information for those looking to move abroad, ranked Vancouver as the world’s 27th wildest city, beating all other major Canadian cities.
But what is the company’s definition of a “wild” city? As it turns out, they decided to focus on the “not-so-holy trinity” of aspects: nightlife, alcohol, and drugs.
“The gang at MoveHub wanted to know more about where the wild things are. No, not the famous children’s picture book – we know enough about that,” wrote Charlie Clissitt with MoveHub.
“We mean the wild humans; the people who party hard and live a life of debauchery and hedonism and lots of other fancy words. We wanted to call them ‘urban wildlife’ but that just makes them sound like pigeons.”
For nightlife, they based this factor on the number of nightclubs and bars listed on Yelp and TripAdvisor, and then worked out the number of such establishments per 100,000 people in each city.
A similar data analysis was also conducted on marijuana consumption, using raw data from the Weed Index and calculating how many metric tons of marijuana is consumed per 100,000 people each year.
As well, country-wide statistics on cocaine use from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and alcohol consumption from the World Health Organization were applied to each city evaluated.
Each city was then ranked from 0 to 3, with 0 being “completely tame” and 3 deemed as “absolutely bonkers.” MoveHub’s final scores for each of the 112 cities assessed ranged from the low of 0.12 for Jakarta to the high of 2.83 for Manchester.
The title of the second wildest Canadian city went to Calgary, followed by Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto.
Two West Coast cities made the top of the list, with Seattle ranked at fourth (Score: 2.51) and San Francisco at fifth (Score: 2.49).
Here are the wildest Canadian cities in the ranking:
- Vancouver (Score: 2.11; 27th world)
- Calgary (Score: 2.05; 35th world)
- Ottawa (Score: 2.00; 39th world)
- Montreal (Score: 1.99; 42nd world)
- Toronto (Score: 1.96; 45th world)
- BC announces how it will regulate legalized cannabis use and sales
- Stats Can report shows number of Canadians who've used pot in the past 3 months
- Vancouver ranked the best city in the world for startups: report
- Vancouver ranks 5th best city in the world for quality of living
- Vancouver named one of the world's 'Best Spring Vacation' destinations
- Vancouver named one of the best places to work as a freelancer
- Vancouver named 6th best city in the world to be a millennial