A photo of two Canadian police officers on duty during Canada Day celebrations in Vancouver is now going viral – particularly in Japan.
The photo, which was snapped and tweeted by Yuma Tsuhara, shows two cops on the street, enjoying a cold Starbucks drink.
So, what’s the big deal?
Well, as it turns out, just that.
According to Sora News, while officers enjoying a coffee barely registers as a notable moment for most people in Canada, the incident would “never” happen in Japan.
Sora explains: “Sipping on flavorful, colorful, or otherwise fun/discretionary drinks in Japan can be seen as unprofessional, as it can be construed as not being completely focused on your job duties, and the conduct standard for public servants, such as police officers, is particularly high.”
警官「どうして俺たちのスタバのコーヒーを撮りたいの？え、公務員が仕事中にコーヒーを飲んでたら日本では問題視される？ww それは…そうか。コーヒーだけじゃなくて俺たちの顔を含めて撮りなよ。撮ったら見せてなwそしたらSNSで日本に伝えちゃって。コーヒーは何も問題でない。Happy Canada Day!!」 pic.twitter.com/VA5PByrOVx
— 佑馬 (@YumaTsuhara) July 2, 2018
“Coffee doesn’t matter,” Tsuhara wrote.”Happy Canada Day!”
At the time of this writing, the post had 90,586 retweets and 187,930 Likes.
Not bad for a seemingly everyday situation here in the Great White North – regardless of whether it involves Starbucks, Tim Hortons, or something else.
- Flagship Starbucks designed by Japanese architect opens in Vancouver (PHOTOS)
- 19 incredible shots of Canada Day 2018 celebrations in Vancouver (PHOTOS)
- The official lineup of the 2018 Vancouver Folk Music Festival has been announced
- Oh Henry! announces new '4:25' bar will be available across Canada this summer
- 20 incredible shots of Canada Day fireworks in Toronto (PHOTOS)