Canadian pop-rock band Hedley said its members will be taking an “indefinite hiatus” following its Canada-wide Cageless tour.
The decision comes after several sexual misconduct allegations made against the band came to light on social media in February.
Since then, a movement has grown online as a number of individuals began sharing their negative experiences with the band using the hashtag #OutHedley2k18.
“Over the past two weeks, there have been accusations made against us on social media and in the mainstream media. As a result, we as a band, and as individuals, have been forced to take a long hard look in the mirror,” Hedley said in a statement posted on Twitter.
“We have unanimously decided to continue this tour to the end. Following this tour, Hedley will be taking an indefinite hiatus to work on our personal relationships and who we are as individuals.”
— Hedley (@Hedleyonline) March 1, 2018
Hedley Frontman, Jacob Hoggard, posted his own statement on his personal Twitter account.
“I need to be completely clear. I have never engaged in non-consensual sexual behaviour in my life. Ever. However, over the last 13 years, I have behaved in a way that objectified women,” said Hoggard.
“The way I’ve treated women was reckless and dismissive of their feelings. I understand the significant harm that is caused not only to the women I interacted with, but to all women who are degraded by this type of behaviour. I have been careless and indifferent and I have no excuse. For this, I am truly sorry.”
The accusations against the band have been building over the past several weeks.
On February 25, CBC broke a story about an Ottawa woman saying she was allegedly raped by Hoggard.
Yesterday, a Calgary radio host Katie Summers publicly shared her own experience with Hoggard, saying he made a lewd comment and touched her inappropriately when they met several years ago.
Katie from #AMPMorningsWithKatieAndEd opened up about her unfortunate personal experience with Jacob from Hedley. She wanted to share to let you know that it is okay to speak up when something happens to you. It’s okay. pic.twitter.com/rN1lKyU0Zh
— 90.3 AMP Radio (@ampcalgary) February 28, 2018
Following the social media firestorm, the JUNOs announced the band will no longer performing at the award show. The band later decided to withdraw from all of their JUNO nominations.
Corus, Bell, and CBC radio stations across Canada have stopped playing the band’s music, and they have been dropped by their management team.