Cash can be a hard thing to hold on to in the Lower Mainland, but in Coquitlam, money is also being found – in a different sort of way.
Coquitlam RCMP is now investigating three separate instances of envelopes full of money that were found in public places and police want to get that money back to its rightful owners.
The latest incident was on November 22, 2017, when an envelope was lost at a supermarket at 2929 Barnet Highway.
Other envelopes of cash were turned in on November 18 and September 21, 2017. In two of those cases, the owners of the money are described as Asian, but police are not releasing any more details on the money, or how much exactly was lost.
“We want people to know that anyone who makes a police report, including lost money, has a right to privacy,” said Coquitlam RCMP Cpl. Michael McLaughlin. “We want to assure everyone, but especially people who are new to Canada, that their names will never be released when they call police.”
Police have also offered helpful tips for those times you find yourself with a big wad of cash in your pocket:
- Avoid carrying a large sum of cash unless you are using it immediately
- When you need to carry a large amount of money, ensure it is secured inside a bag or a zippered pocket without any holes
- Carry smaller amounts of cash in a purse or wallet for your everyday transactions and keep that cash separate from larger sums of money.
If you’ve been carrying money without remembering these tips and have now lost your bounty of bills, call your local police and be prepared to give the following:
- Details including amount, denominations and the type of currency
- The exact time and place you noticed the money was missing
- Any identifying marks on the envelope
- A description of yourself
- Your name and contact information.
“You might be surprised how often people turn money and other valuables in to police,” McLaughlin said. “That’s the kind of community we live in.”
Anyone with information about the three envelopes of lost money in Coquitlam is asked to call the Coquitlam RCMP non-emergency number at 604-945-1550.