Grandfather and two kids taken to hospital after carbon monoxide leak in Vancouver

Jan 17 2019, 12:38 am

Nine people were evacuated from a Vancouver residence late last night.

The incident began at approximately 11:30 pm on Tuesday, January 15 when BC Emergency Health Services (BCEHS) visited a household on Tyne.

The initial call was a request for medical service over chest pain, however, upon initial assessment of the patient and the scene, it was discovered that there was a carbon monoxide leak.

Additional support from the Vancouver Fire Rescue Services (VFRS) and Hazmat crews were then called to the household.

The house, which included nine individuals, was evacuated and all appliances were shut off. Fire crews immediately tried to restore ventilation to the residence.

Three people in total – a grandfather and two children – were taken to the hospital. The grandfather was taken to Vancouver General Hospital and the children were taken to the Children’s Hospital.

The home remained vacant overnight and the remaining occupants found housing elsewhere with friends and family.

Fortis BC has also been brought to the scene in hopes of determining the exact cause of the monoxide leak.

The VFRS wishes to remind home-owners that every dwelling in Vancouver is required to have a functioning CO detector and smoke detector. CO detectors should generally be placed lower in the room, closer to the floor than the ceiling, near appliances or near where people sleep.

See also
DH Vancouver StaffDH Vancouver Staff

+ News