The first day of baby bear summer school?
A black mama bear and her two cubs were snapped Monday morning crossing the street outside Simon Fraser University in Burnaby.
— Simon Fraser Univ. (@SFU) July 25, 2016
The sighting comes only weeks after a black bear was photographed hanging around the SFU sign – also on a Monday.
These bears know how to get up bright and early to start the week, it seems.
- Black bear caught posing near the SFU sign on Burnaby Mountain
- Bear caught on camera destroying bird house at Burnaby Lake (VIDEO)
- Hungry bear tears Lexus apart in West Vancouver, causes $10,000 in damage
- Another hungry bear rips into another Lexus on the North Shore
Black bear season is in full swing in areas like Burnaby and the North Shore. The West Vancouver Police Department has these suggestions for those who live in bear-heavy areas:
- Put your garbage curb side the day of pickup, never the night before
- Store garbage in your house, garage, or shed
- Keep your garbage as odour-free as possible
- Freeze particularly smelly items like meat trays and chicken bones
- Keep diapers inside
- Remove bird feeders until the winter
- Keep your barbecue clean
- Pick fruit from trees as soon as it’s ripe and remove fallen fruit on the ground
- Turn compost to reduce smells and keep a lid on it
- Keep pet food inside
- Keep refrigerators and freezers inside
And in the case of this particular bear family, hide all your textbooks!