13th presumptive case of coronavirus confirmed in BC
The 13th presumptive case of coronavirus has been confirmed in BC.
Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry made the announcement on Wednesday afternoon, just 24 hours after she announced four new cases of COVID-19.
The person, she says, is an individual in her 80s, who resides in Vancouver Coastal Health Region, and recently returned from travel in India and Hong Kong.
Henry said the woman is in “critical condition” at an Intensive Care Unit at Vancouver General Hospital.
“The hospital has been preparing for this and has taken every measure to make sure that every other patient is safe and protected,” she said.
Henry maintains, however, that “the risk still remains very low in our communities here and in the province in general, and withing Canada.”
She also adds that there are no new contacts of the cases that are showing symptoms and that close contacts are continuing to be identified and monitored.
- See also:
Four cases announced on Tuesday
The province’s ninth presumptive case of coronavirus is a man in his 50s who “lives in the Fraser Health region.” The man returned to Canada last week after visiting Iran, and health officials were made aware of the case on Monday night.
He’s currently in self-isolation at home and his case is said to be “unrelated to any previously announced case.”
BC’s 10th case is a man who lives in the Vancouver Coastal Health Region, which encompasses Vancouver, Richmond, Sea to Sky Country, and the Sunshine Coast.
The province’s 11th case is an “adult woman,” and the 12th case is a woman in her 30s. Both of these women also live in the Vancouver Coastal Health region. Case 11 recently returned from Iran, and Case 12 had household contact with BC’s eight case – a woman in her 60s visiting BC from Tehran, Iran.
More to come…