One elderly man lost his life on Sunday afternoon in a tragic accident after participating in the Canada Day Parade in Abbotsford.
According to the Abbotsford Police Department (APD), paramedics were called to the scene at 12:43 pm after receiving reports of a man who had been struck by a trailer at the intersection of Simon Avenue and Gladwin Road.
The man had fallen from a Dodge Ram pick-up truck, which had just left the parade procession, and was subsequently struck by a trailer it was pulling.
He was rushed to hospital for treatment, but he later succumbed to his serious injuries.
The driver of the pick-up truck remained on scene and is cooperating with investigators.
“APD Patrol Officers, General Investigation Officers, and Collision Reconstructionist are investigating,” reads a release.
“We offer our condolences to the family and friends of the man killed in this tragic accident.”
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to reach out to the APD at 604-859-5225 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
- 2 pedestrians, 3 officers injured in Vancouver Police patrol vehicle crash
- Canada Day post-fireworks crowds fill street outside Waterfront Station (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
- Man dies in second fatal stabbing in downtown Vancouver block in one week
- Surrey RCMP seize narcotics and firearm during patrol in Newton area
- 10-year-old boy suffers gunshot wound in Maple Ridge
- Two police officers injured during violent struggle at SkyTrain station