A residential redevelopment is slated for the southwest corner of the intersection of East 8th Avenue and St. Catherines Street on the Broadway Corridor in Vancouver’s Mount Pleasant neighbourhood.
DYS Architecture’s development application for 870 East Broadway pursues a seven-storey affordable rental building with 51 homes and one level of underground parking.
“A dark warm grey metal siding clads the projects lowest two levels with the four levels above featuring a silver flat panel metal grid,” reads the architect’s design rationale.
“Wood grain coloured metal siding in a lighter tone infills the spandrels and vertical elements within the silver grid providing a contrasting warmer element. Balconies have been positioned on each corner to maximize views and sunlight for the corner units. The corner balconies also serve to break the scale of the building’s box shape.”
A rezoning application for the project was approved by Vancouver City Council last year. The subsequent development application currently being considered is expected to receive approval as well.
- New rental housing building proposed for East Hastings near PNE
- Block-sized land assembly rental housing proposed for Renfrew Street
- Half-block land assembly condo redevelopment proposed for Oak Street
- Rental homes and retail to replace The Black Lodge restaurant on Kingsway
- Kitsilano Salvation Army thrift store to be redeveloped into rental housing
- Former gas station at 10th Avenue and Alma to be redeveloped
- 18-storey rental tower included in new Vancouver Masonic Centre
- New DTES building with social housing and market rental homes complete (PHOTOS)