While it may currently feel more like spring than winter here in the city of Vancouver, you don’t have to travel too far to be reminded that we are in fact, still in the middle of January.
And for those looking to get their winter fix in the form of skiing or snowboarding, global vacation-rental search engine HomeToGo has released a list of the ten best ski destinations within a day’s drive of Vancouver, according to various categories.
“Surrounded by snow capped mountains, beautiful beaches, and ancient forests, Vancouver is one of Canada’s premier destinations for adventure travellers,” said HomeToGo’s Joanna Booth. “Vancouver is consistently one the most searched destinations in Canada, and we hope this guide helps travellers discover the best nearby ski destinations based on their skill level and budget.”
- Sun Peaks named one of National Geographic's Best Winter Trips in 2019
- Resort-like village planned for base of Cypress Mountain (RENDERINGS)
- This Canadian spot was named #1 on USA Today's top 10 best ski towns
The ranking goes off-piste and into deep-powder, exploring not only affordable ski destinations but also the best destinations based on mountain statistics. For each of the featured ski destinations, HomeToGo compared the following:
- Driving distance / estimated cost of gas from downtown Vancouver
- The price of a one-day lift ticket
- The cost of equipment rental
- Lunch on the slopes (Price of a Classic Poutine)
- Après ski drink (Price of a Caesar Cocktail)
- Price of one night’s accommodation
The mountains themselves were also scored on ski experience, including:
- Vertical Drop (elevation from base)
- Acres of Skiable Terrain
- Chair Lift Capacity (# skiers/hour)
- Average Annual Snowfall
- Night Skiing Availability (# of ski lifts open after 4 p.m.)
- Average Visitor Rating
Among the local winners such as Cypress Mountain and Whistler Blackcomb, Vancouver Island’s Mount Washington ranked as the “most mountain for your money,” with the best overall price to experience ratio.
The 10 best destinations are:
- Cypress Mountain – West Vancouver
- Mount Washington – Vancouver Island
- Apex Mountain Resort – Okanagan
- Silver Star Mountain Resort – Okanagan
- Big White Ski Resort – Okanagan
- Sun Peaks – Thompson-Okanagan
- Red Mountain Resort – Kootenays
- Revelstoke Mountain Resort – Kootenays
- Whitewater Ski Resort – Kootenays
Other top scorers included Kelowna’s Big White, which ranked best for Apres-Ski experience “with the cheapest slope-side Poutine and Caesar cocktails.”
The 10 best ski destinations within a day’s drive of Vancouver
All prices are listed in Canadian dollars, and do not include sales tax, or fees for ferries, bridges, or toll roads.
So if you’re looking to get out of Vancouver and get some winter, this might be a good place to start.