This Sunday is going to be a busy one in the city!
With the Toronto Marathon, a Raptor’s tailgate party, the Khalsa Day parade, and the Manulife Paddle the Don event all running, there will be multiple road closures across town.
Business in the areas of the events will stay open to foot traffic, but you won’t be able to access these spots by car.
- Ford government considering raising speed limits on 400 series highways
- Ford government to introduce legislation for TTC subway upload
- Google Earth releases timelapse of Toronto over the last 35 years (VIDEO)
These are the spots you’ll want to steer your vehicle clear of on Sunday, May 5:
Toronto Marathon – from 6 am to 3 pm
• Yonge Street at or near Sheppard Avenue
• Yonge Street between Sheppard Avenue and Davisville Avenue/Chaplin Crescent
• Chaplin Crescent between Yonge Street and Oriole Parkway
• Oriole Parkway between Chaplain Crescent and Lonsdale Road
• Spadina Road between Lonsdale Road and Austin Terrace
• Davenport Road between MacPherson Avenue and Belmont Street
• Belmont Street/Aylmer Avenue/Rosedale Valley Road between Davenport Road and Bayview Avenue
• Bayview Avenue from Rosedale Valley Road to Lower River Street
• King Street East between Lower River Street and Sumach Street
• Eastern Avenue between Sumach Street and Front Street East
• Front Street East/Wellington Street between Eastern Avenue and John Street
• John Street between Wellington Street East and Front Street West
• Front Street West between John Street and Bathurst Street
• Bathurst Street between Front Street West and Fort York Boulevard
• Fort York Boulevard between Bathurst Street and Fleet Street
• Fleet Street between Fort York Boulevard and Strachan Avenue
• Strachan Avenue between Fleet Street and Remembrance Drive
The race will begin at Yonge Street and Sheppard Avenue and will initially include closures on surrounding streets north of the intersection.
The race will then turn south, travelling east towards the Don River. Then, it will come back west, across downtown, to Humber Bay Park East. A map of the route is available here.
Toronto Raptors tailgate and viewing party – 7 am to midnight
Bremner Boulevard from Lakeshore Boulevard West to the east side of the parking garage at 25 York St. will be closed. A map of the closures is available here.
Khalsa Day parade in Etobicoke – noon to 8 pm
• Humberwood Boulevard between Morning Star Drive and Humberline Drive
• Humberline Drive between Humberwood Boulevard and Finch Avenue West
• Finch Avenue West between Humberline Drive and Westmore Drive
• Westmore Drive between Finch Avenue West and Carrier Drive
A map of these closures is available here.
Manulife Paddle the Don event – 8 am to 6 pm
Bayview Avenue will be closed between Mill Street and Front Street East. A map of these closures is available here.
In addition to road closures related to special events, a significant amount of road work is taking place in the city.
As a result of this, people are encouraged to take public transit as a greener, faster and more affordable way of getting to their destinations. Those who need to drive in the general vicinity of special events should allow extra time to get to and from their destinations.
A more complete list of events and road work is available here.