CBS Television Studios announced today it will open a major new film and television production studio in the Toronto suburb of Mississauga.
According to a release, CBS Stages Canada will be 260,000-sq-ft, complete with six sound stages, production offices, support spaces, and auxiliary spaces.
The new facility is expected to open in mid-2019 and provide much-needed production space to the Toronto area’s rapidly growing film and television industry.
The US studio says it currently produces 63 series, including two series – Star Trek: Discovery and In the Dark – in Toronto.
“CBS has a strong production history in Canada,” said David Stapf, president of CBS Television Studios, in a statement.
“The Toronto area specifically has provided our series with diverse and appealing locations as well as production infrastructure and crafts expertise that cannot be easily found. These new stages will provide valuable resources and additional capacity for our company’s growing production slate.”
The total floor area of the new CBS studio is larger than Pinewood Toronto Studios, where the Star Trek television series is currently being filmed.
- Toronto's film and television production hit $1.8 billion in 2017
- Toronto's film and television production hit record-breaking $2 billion in 2016
- New 851-ft-tall tower to be Mississauga's tallest building
- North America's largest Spaces co-working office coming to downtown Toronto
- Microsoft opening new Canadian HQ office in downtown Toronto
- Canada's Wonderland is opening its very own hotel