Coronavirus: Everything you need to know in Montreal today

Apr 1 2020, 1:59 pm

Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.

And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.

Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.

Top coronavirus stories for April, as of 5 pm ET:  

Quebec announces two more coronavirus related deaths

The Quebec government has announced two more deaths associated with coronavirus, bringing the province’s death toll to 33.

Before offering additional numbers, Quebec Premier François Legault extended his condolences to the families and loved ones of the new victims.

As part of his daily briefings, Legault revealed that known cases in the province had increased to 4,611.

He also mentioned that 5,770 cases are “under investigation” and 65,082 tests have turned up negative.

Quebec police to restrict travel to regions throughout the province

The Sûreté du Québec will be restricting access to certain regions throughout the province in an effort to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

Quebecers are being asked to limit travel from one region to another unless absolutely essential. Necessary travel includes trips for medical reasons and for work when remote options/teleworking is not possible.

The government said the movement will be controlled by local police and the Sûreté du Québec.

Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since the Second World War

Quebec Premier François Legault announced that the province’s death toll from coronavirus has reached 18 citizens, a spike of ten people since Thursday’s numbers.

Known confirmed cases have increased to 2,021 as of March 27, and cases “under investigation” have spiked to 7,236. In Quebec, 32,335 cases have turned up negative and 29 patients have recovered from the virus.

Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since the Second World War

The most prestigious tennis tournament in the world, Wimbledon, has been cancelled for the first time since 1945, during the Second World War. It’s the first time that Wimbledon has been cancelled for anything other than a global conflict since its debut in 1877.

Set to begin June 28, the All England Club decided to cancel the tournament outright, rather than postpone it until later in the year as the French Open decided.

“This is a decision that we have not taken lightly, and we have done so with the highest regard for public health and the wellbeing of all those who come together to make Wimbledon happen,” said Ian Hewitt, All England Club Chairman.

April’s street parking restrictions in Montreal have been pushed back

The start of April in Montreal usually means you have to be more conscious of which side of the street you park on.

April 1 is the beginning of street cleaning operations throughout the city but as a result of the pandemic, the city has changed some of its parking regulations for all boroughs.

Street signs that were to be in effect as of today have instead been pushed back to May 1, according to the Ville de Montreal.

Justin Bieber postpones Canadian concerts planned for 2020

Justin Bieber has postponed performances he had planned in Canada as part of his multi-city 2020 tour.

The Biebs had been scheduled to stop at the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa on September 1, the Videotron Centre in Québec City on September 3, the Rogers Centre in Toronto on September 10, and the Bell Centre in Montreal on September 14.

According to Live Nation, those dates — along with the great majority of the others that were scheduled for the Changes Tour — have been postponed.

St-Hubert to deliver 10,000 chicken meals and 2,000 pot pies to Quebecers in need

One of Quebec’s favourite rotisserie chicken franchises is joining the mutual aid and generosity movement by launching a “comfort food” campaign.

Officially dubbed “Deliver it forward,” St-Hubert will be delivering 100 meals free of charge to 100 Quebecers in need.

Through the restaurant’s Facebook page (as of April 2), St-Hubert is inviting customers to submit names of people “who deserve a St-Hubert meal.”

Shell is offering free sandwiches and drinks to medical staff across Canada

There’s a ton of awesome food and beverage promotions happening across the country for our local superheroes (AKA frontline medical staff).

One more recent deal comes to us from Shell, as the company announced it’s currently offering free sandwiches and drinks to healthcare professionals at participating gas stations across Canada.

All the frontline medical staff need to do is show their healthcare ID at participating stores, and the deal is done.