It might be tough to envision the springtime with our current weather, but this might help. The first-ever GEEK-IT convention is on its way to Old Montreal this April.
The convention aims to promote video games, anime, comic books, eSports, cosplay, K-Pop and general “geek culture” to a wider public, according to a press release.
- This artist has decorated Montreal's streets with Star Wars art (PHOTOS)
- Justin Trudeau to make a cameo in Corner Gas Animated
- This leading visual effects studio is opening a new branch in Montreal
- Deadpool claps back when Fred Savage tries to bash Nickelback (VIDEO)
GEEK-IT will be hosted across 40,000-sq-ft at the Old Port’s Grand Quai. The main stage will feature “geek community” activities such as a Cosplay Contest, eSport
Tournaments and two headlining K-pop dance groups: 2K Squad and East2West.
The official website will also be converted into an e-commerce platform, with best-seller items from each artist and vendor. This way, fans can rediscover the convention throughout the year and never miss out on any shows at the con.
Other GEEK-IT activities include:
- Indie Games Tryout: Attended will be able to enjoy hands-on demos or recently-announced video games from big and small gaming franchise.
- eSports Tournament: The Hearthstone tournament will have a combines prize pool of $4,000 and the Super Smash Bros, Melee and Super Smash Bros. Ulitmate Tournaments will have a combined prize pool of $2,000.
- Cosplay Contest: Guests are invited to create and wear a costume of their favourite anime, comic, or video game character in a $5,000 prize pool.
- Industry Panels: Located in the interview room, GEEK-IT will hold panels featuring guest speakers and industry representatives to discuss topics on game development, eSports and other geek-related subjects.
- Escape Game: An exclusive, real-life, mystery-solving game that’s built inside the convention hall, available for all guests to experience.
Geek Get ready, Montreal! We’ll be sure to update you as more geek-related news filters through for the inaugural convention. Visit the GEEK-IT website for more information about costume weapon restrictions, special pricing, rules and guests.
When: April 6 and 7
Time: 10 am – 10 pm (until 7 pm on Sunday)
Where: Grand Quai, Old Montreal
Price: $20 – $65, available online