Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for May 28, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has reached 4,302, after announcing 74 more deaths since Tuesday afternoon.
The Santé Quebec website confirmed 49,702 known cases and 1,331 hospitalizations, 178 of whom are in the ICU.
Currently, a reported 365,402 tests have turned up negative throughout Quebec and over 14,600 cases have been resolved.
Quebec Premier François Legault has shared more details concerning the government’s efforts to recruit and strengthen staffing numbers at long-term care homes throughout the province.
Legault says Quebec remains in two worlds, the difficult situation in CHSLDs and the rest of the province, which he says is “stabilizing.”
Of Quebec’s newly announced 74 deaths, 70 of them took place within long-term care homes across the province.
Uber is launching a new same-day contactless delivery feature, allowing users to send packages to family and friends across Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.
The ridesharing company’s initiative is “designed to make life a little bit easier during these times,” according to a release.
Uber Connect will be available through the Uber app and include ways to send packages, items, and goods to others as well as the option to sell items by delivery.
Starbucks is taking another step towards reopening its stores fully across the country.
The coffee chain will now be welcoming walk-in and takeout orders, meaning folks can actually step into their local branch and place an order to-go.
Prior to this, Starbucks was only allowing customers to order via drive-thru, pickup at an entryway, and through Starbucks Delivers through mobile ordering.
Quebec’s Minister of Tourism, Caroline Proulx, along with the Minister of Forests, Wildlife, and Parks, Pierre Dufour, has announced the first phase of the province’s deconfinement throughout the tourism sector.
All over Quebec, including the Montreal metropolitan area, will be allowed access to campgrounds, cottages, marinas, and provincial parks as of Monday, June 1.
Cottage rentals, including Airbnb, will also reopen, according to Proulx.
The pandemic isn’t going to keep Montebello Rockfest from jamming out.
The popular annual music festival which takes place every June in Montebello, Quebec, will transform into a virtual edition, streaming videos from nearly 15 years worth of unreleased footage.
The exclusive footage will feature behind the scenes clips from a variety of bands since the festival’s inception in 2005, live music, mosh pitting, and fans.
Casinos in Las Vegas, Nevada, will officially be able to reopen starting June 4, 2020.
“Last week, I set a target reopening date of Thursday, June 4, for our gaming industry,” Governor of Nevada Steve Sisolak said in a press release issued on Wednesday. “Based on the meeting today and the positive trends in our data, I have informed the Chair of the Gaming Control Board that I feel confident in the June 4 target date.”
The meeting was with the Nevada Gaming Control Board, Governor Steve Sisolak, as well as the state’s COVID-19 Response Director, local health experts, and the heads of Nevada’s emergency response organizations.