Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help you digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for July 24, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19 death toll has increased to 5,663 after announcing one new death and 163 new known cases since Thursday morning.
According to Santé Quebec, there are now 58,243 cases in the province, 208 hospitalizations, and 12 patients in the ICU.
Currently, a reported 694,513 tests have turned up negative throughout Quebec, and over 30,000 cases have been resolved.
It seems that Canadians have tightened up their spending during the COVID-19 pandemic.
With the economy in the dumps, people being laid off left and right, and no foreseeable end to the ongoing threat of coronavirus, we can’t say that we blame them.
Race organizers have announced that the 2020 Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix, which takes place yearly in Montreal, has been officially cancelled.
In a statement, Canadian Grand Prix officials cited the health and safety of the fans and employees in the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic as the primary reason.
Originally scheduled to take place between June 12 and 14, organizers announced earlier in April that they hoped popular event could be postponed.
Two of Quebec’s leading grocery retailers, IGA and Metro, have released lists detailing when and where employees and customers have tested positive for COVID-19. Since July 16, nine entries have been added to both stores.
Both store chains said that out of respect and for confidentiality reasons, it will never release any personal information about infected employees or clients.
With the Major League Baseball season officially underway, the Blue Jays have finally found their home base.
While Jays are in Tampa Bay tonight to kick off the shortened 2020 season against the Rays, they’ve officially locked down Sahlen Field in Buffalo to host the “greater part” of their home schedule.
A Canadian smartphone app meant to warn users if they’ve been in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID is now in beta testing.
The app was supposed to be released in the first week of July.
The intermission is almost over.
The NHL has released a detailed description of what a return to hockey will be like in the Toronto and Edmonton hub cities.
“This is going to be an unusual, to say the least, endeavor,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said about the league’s Return to Play Plan. “It will be challenging at times, but I assure you we, in conjunction with the [NHL] Players’ Association, who we work with every step of the way, are trying to do everything possible to make this an experience that hopefully you’ll never forget, but in a good way.”