A luxury resort in the Maldives says the island is virtually Covid-free and is now looking for someone to work at its bookstore, as a live-in, barefoot bookseller.
According to the job posting, Ultimate Library, in partnership with Soneva Fushi, a five-star luxury resort in the Baa Atoll, opened the first Pop-Up Bookshop in the Maldives last December to worldwide acclaim.
“After an incredibly successful first season, the shop will be opening its doors once again in mid-October,” the posting states. “With Soneva Resorts best-loved for its Robinson Crusoe-style laidback luxury, the return of the Pop-Up Bookshop creates the ultimate vacancy for a desert island bibliophile: barefoot bookselling, in one of the most beautiful places in the world.”
The posting states that the bookshop “was created to reflect the stunning natural environment and intelligent luxury that Soneva Fushi provides.”
The selected individual “will have a month’s pre-departure product training with the Ultimate Library team, prior to flying to the Maldives to join the Soneva team for a six-month placement role in mid-October.”
- See also:
The candidate will also be “a team player with a passion for books and the ability to engage with guests of all ages. They will have excellent written and verbal English skills; a lively tone of voice to write an entertaining blog that captures the exhilarating life of a desert island bookseller, and the skills to host workshops and other guest experiences. They must have the ability to fit in with the distinctive Soneva culture,” the posting states.
In addition, duties of the job will include:
- Day to day running of a small the bookshop including sales management, engaging with guests & hosts;
- Responsible for all stock management and reporting back on sales & stock updates;
- Hosting experiences for Soneva guests such as creative writing classes, bibliotherapy, tutoring (Ages 9-18) and literary lectures;
- Running the Barefoot Bookseller social media presence, including Instagram;
- Writing monthly blogposts & creating entertaining and informative newsletters;
- Liaising with Ultimate Library & Soneva marketing teams on potential events and collaborations
Required skills and experience include:
- Excellent written & verbal English skills;
- A love of reading & in-depth knowledge of both classical and modern literature;
- Experience in bookselling/publishing is essential;
- Strong knowledge of running social media pages and following trends;
- Experience writing blogs or newsletters;
- Team player and self-starter with a sense of fun and creativity
Interested candidates can apply online by September 30.