The end of the work week is here and there is finally some sunshine to enjoy! Here are some awesome events to help kick start your weekend fun.
Hockey at the dome is finally back this week! Sure it’s pre-season, but at least the boys in red will be taking to the ice after a long off season. Tonight they face off against the Canucks.
- Where: The Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- When: Friday, September 30 at 7 pm
The YYComedy Festival is back for another year this Thursday, bringing a huge host of standup stars to venues across Calgary. Aiming to present the highest quality shows possible at affordable prices, you’ll be able to pick from shows by 50 different standup comedians.Headliners this year include icon Janeane Garofalo, who has featured in The Ben Stiller Show, Saturday Night Live, The West Wing and several critically acclaimed movies.
- Where: Multiple comedy venues around Calgary
- When: Thursday, September 29 through Saturday, October 1, times vary
- Tickets: Available online, prices vary from show to show
Some 35,000 film fans are expected to attend CIFF this year, which begins on Wednesday, September 21 and runs until October 2, in downtown Calgary. Moviegoers will be able to enjoy 210 films at this year’s festival – 100 features and 110 shorts – including Pedro Almodóvar’s Julieta and Jim Jarmusch’sPaterson.
- Where: Various movie theatres in downtown Calgary
- When: From September 21 to October 2
- Tickets: Available online, individual events start at $15, or a full festival pass is $300
The Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival returns to the Calgary Zoo for the second year in a row, and this time around there are 145 extra lanterns to dazzle you. The lanterns are seasonal-themed this year, so you’ll be taken on a journey from winter to spring, and they’ll depict culturally significant animals as well as zoo favourites. Relish in the arts of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Korean cultures, and check out live music, an art gallery, and garden displays as well.
- Where: Calgary Zoo – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Thursday, September 8 to Sunday, October 16
Calgary’s third annual YYC Pizza Week is taking place around town this week. This year, over 50 restaurants are battling it out in four different categories during event. Contestants may only enter in one of the categories but can offer a gluten free option in that category as well.
- Where: Over 50 restaurants in Calgary – see more information online
- When: September 23 to October 2