21 things to do in Calgary this week: February 27 to March 5
Now that Calgary winter is feeling a little bit more like we know it, it’s time to get out of hibernation.
From the YYC Hot Chocolate Fest wrapping up to great events beginning in March, there’s lots to do in town.
Learn to Ski/Snowboard at Never Ever Days
- What: Is learning to ski/ snowboard something that has always been on your bucket list, but never gets ticked off? Skiing/ snowboarding can be a large investment and be a bit intimidating for those who haven’t been shredding POW since you were 5 years old. For only in the Never Ever Day’s ultimate beginners package you can rent all the equipment that you need, along with a beginner lift ticket and a lesson all included for only $25 on select days at resorts across Canada. This is the perfect opportunity to see if the sport is right for you!
- Where: Over 70 participating resorts across Canada
- When: Throughout the 2016/17 Season
- Cost: $25
Art wall clocks workshop
- Where: Merchants Restaurant and Bar – 2118 33rd Avenue SW
- When: February 27
- Cost: $50
Seities Studio: The Photographic Blue
- What: Take a stroll through the Window Galleries of the Arts Commons and see this beautiful exhibit that includes works by Jaime Erin Johnson, Emma Powell, and Juilee Pryor. The gallery brings together the aesthetics of the traditional photographic process of Cyanotype photography, also called blue print, and the different views of the female identity, body and spirit.
- Where: Window Galleries (across from Max Bell Theatre in Arts Commons)
- When: December 5 to February 27
- Cost: FREE
Johnston Canyon Ice Walk
- What: The National Geographic Traveller Magazine named Banff one of it’s “Best of the World” destinations for 2017, making us Albertans very proud of our hidden little secret, that is no longer very hidden. With your free 2017 Park Pass, head up to Banff for a day trip or a weekend get away and check out some of the beauty it has to offer. This Ice Walk is located only a few minutes away from the Town of Banff, and will take you take you through the frozen waterfalls of Johnston’s Canyon and is a breathtaking experience that you that will leave you in awe of nature’s capacities. Be sure to dress in proper winter gear – it will be a bit chilly!
- Where: Hotel pick up and drop off provided from Banff
- Cost: Adult (13 and up) $68, Child (8-12) $42
Star Trek: The Starfleet Academy
- What: Calling all Trekkies! Having opened on February 4, Star Trek: The Starfleet Academy Experience will be at TELUS Spark until June 4, 2017. Upon entering the exhibit, you’ll become a Starfleet Academy cadet recruit.
- Where: TELUS Spark – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: Now until June 4, 2017
- Cost: Adults $29.95
Cheer on the Calgary Flames
- What: Help keep the Flames red hot on Tuesday night. Grab your jersey, a dome beer and some nachos and help cheer them on in their next few games.
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SW
- When: Tuesday, February 28 at 7pm vs. Los Angeles
Heritage Park Ghost Tours
- What: Visit Heritage Park after hours for a 90-minute, spine-tingling ghost tour through the historic village. You ticket includes a complimentary hot chocolate or coffee and access to a cash bar at the Selkirk Grille for a much-needed alcoholic beverage – you may just need it!
- Where: Heritage Park Historical Village -1900 Heritage Dr SW
- When: Wednesday evenings between February 15 to March 8
- Cost: $19.95/person
Go skating outdoors
- What: Now that winter seems to have finally settled in for the long haul, it’s time for the winter activities to commence. Grab a few friends, some hot chocolate and bundle up in your warmest, yet stylish winter attire and go skating on one of Calgary’s many outdoor rinks that are well maintained by either the city or volunteers within the community. Don’t own a pair of skates? Rent a pair at your nearest outdoor center or at specific rinks around the city – see website more for details!
- Where: Various rinks throughout Calgary
- Cost: FREE
Check out WinSport’s Acura Tube Park
- What: Calgary’s only tube park is the largest of its kind in Western Canada and it opens for the season on Saturday, December 17. The park is located on the main hill, which allows tubers to take advantage of the washrooms, eateries, retail store and other amenities located in the Frank King Day Lodge. It features 10 lanes, each of which are 200 metres in length.
- Where: WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park – 88 Canada Olympic Road SW
Dog Sledding in Canmore
One of the most ancient, and still very practical, means of transportation in frigid climates, dog sledding is an activity Canada is famous for. Luckily for us, a short drive away in Canmore there are three different companies that offer dog sledding tours in the scenic Rocky Mountains.
Howling Dog Tours, Mad Dogs & Englishmen Expeditions, and Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours all offer incredible, personalized experiences. Try out a tour this winter and take part in a long standing Canadian tradition.
They can be reached by phone at:
- Howling Dog Tours – (403) 678-9588
- Mad Dogs and Englishmen Expeditions – (403) 609-3670
- Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours – (403) 678-4369
YYC Hot Chocolate Fest
- What: Calgary’s favourite, cozy and delicious foodie festival is back for the 6th year in a row! During the entire month of February, be sure to warm up by checking out your favourite cafes, sweet shops and restaurants for their unique spin on everyone’s beloved winter drink. The best part is that a portion of every drink will go towards supporting Calgary Meals on Wheels, an even better reason to indulge in some warm chocolate goodness!
- Where: At participating locations
- When: The entire month of February
- Cost: Price of the Hot Chocolate + $1 will be donated to Meals on Wheels
Calgary Mid-Winter Bluesfest
- What: Calgary Midwinter Bluesfest returns with a full week of Blues workshops, concerts & dance parties! Warm the winter months with some smokin’ hot Blues, featuring some of the finest music to be heard on the planet. Headlining this year’s Midwinter Bluesfest are Blues Hall of Famer and Chicago icon Eddie Shaw.
- Where: onlineVarious venues around town. Check .
- When: February 27 to March 4
- Cost: Free – $25 and up
- What: Join MakerYYC in creating beautiful Geometric Terrariums to bring a touch of the outdoors into your home. Enjoy good company, drinks, delicious food and a welcoming atmosphere at Home and Away on 17th Ave.
- Where: Home and Away – 1331 17th Avenue SW
- When: Wednesday, March 1
- Cost: $70
Calgary Home + Garden Show
- What: The Calgary Home + Garden Show is here this weekend featuring more than 650 vendors in its exhibition area, a number of local speakers, and four celebrity guests.
- When: March 2 and 3 from 12 to 9 pm, March 4, from 10 am to 9 pm and Sunday, March 5 from 10 am to 6 pm
- Where: BMO Centre, Stampede Park – 20 Roundup Way SE
- Cost:: $16. Save $3 when you buy tickets online
Go Curling outside
- Where: St Patricks Island has set up a curling lane for public use so everyone can try their hand at the game. You can play in teams, as pairs, or even make up your own rules (just don’t tell anyone)
- Where: St Patricks Island – 430 8th Avenue SE
- When: Daily 9am to 7pm until the end of March
The Big Taste Foodie Festival
- What: Foodie’s rejoice! YYC’s favourite foodie festival is back for another year! Between March 3 and 12 some of Calgary’s best restaurants will be offering up three and five-course fix price menus for every meal of the day. Restaurants are sorted by price point, so you can be sure to expect more than a few options no matter what your budget may be. At the same time, there will also be various one-time only, signature events happening around the city, such as Canada’s tribute Dinner at The Guild, The Winemaker’s Dinner at the Deane House, the Reunion Dinner at Catch and more!
- Where: Various locations around Calgary. See participating restaurants here.
- When: March 3 to 12
- Cost: Varies depending on the location and menu. See website for more details!
- What: The world famous Harlem Globetrotters, featuring some of the most electrifying athletes on the planet, will bring their spectacular show to Calgary during their 2017 World Tour. The famed team will feature a star-studded roster that includes Big Easy Lofton, Ant Atkinson, Hi-Lite Bruton, Thunder Law, Bull Bullard and Cheese Chisholm – plus female stars TNT Lister and Ace Jackson!
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- When: March 1 and 2
- Cost: $16 to $400
Friday Sock Co. Pop-Up Shop at Greater Goods
- What: On March 4, Adam, the creator of Calgary’s famous mis-matched sock company, Friday Sock Co. will be doing a pop-up at Greater Goods and launching his new line of socks. Be the first to shop the new line and show off the new designs on your Instagram before everyone else does. Rumor has it he will be introducing 12 new sock designs!
- Where: Greater Goods – 606 Meredith Road NE
- When: Sunday, March 4
Calgary Maple Festival Des Sucres
- What: Celebrate traditional French Canadian culture, history and traditions at this annual 2-day festival at Heritage Park. Enjoy dancing, traditional music, outdoor activities, a magic show, wagon rides ad so much more, while indulging in a little maple syrup goodness from the sugar shack!
- Where: Heritage Park – 1900 Heritage Drive SW
- When: March 4 and 5
- Cost: Youth: $10, Seniors/ Adults: $14, Free for children under 6
International Women’s Day Celebration
- What: Celebrate and praise the empowerment of women at this fun filled all day event. There will be several performances, some serious and some humorous, both of which will have an impactful message, along with a fashion shop featuring locally owned high-end boutiques and designers. Come celebrate the love, beauty and achievement of women!
- Where: Calgary JCC – 1607 9th Avenue SW
- When: March 5
- Cost: $15
Granville Winter Mingler Weekend: Maple Shack Cream Ale and Maple Toffee
- What: As a part of the weekly Bourgeau Bonfire Bash at Sunshine Village, you will have the opportunity to try Grandville Island Brewing’s delicious Maple Shack Cream Ale and Maple Syrup Toffee. With hints of Canadian maple syrup this brewski, along with a bonfire, BBQ, music and beer gardens, is the perfect way to end a beautiful day on the slopes.
- Where: The Bourgeau Base Area – Sunshine Village
- When: March 4 and 5