Other than all of the Valentine’s Day shenanigans going on, February can seem kind of bland in Calgary. With the holidays quite a ways behind us and the summer months still pretty far ahead – many Calgarians are in limbo.
Well, don’t fret, because we have a list of 11 awesome things that you can do for free this month.
21 artists will be strutting their stuff this month across 12 outdoor sites in downtown Calgary. From local, national and international artists, this free event is a guaranteed great time. So, head down if you want to continue to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday, and if you want to warm yourself up with all of the lights.
- Where: In the heart of downtown Calgary
- When: February 17 to 20 from 6:30 to 11pm
Visit Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
The Inglewood Bird Sanctuary is a great family-fun activity that you can do for free this month. There will be scavenger hunts, nature games, wildlife crafts, and more. Whether you decide to participate in a guided walk or venture off on your own, make sure to keep an eye out for anything that’s flying around.
- Where: Inglewood Bird Sanctuary – 2425 9th Avenue SE
- When: February 19 from 1 to 3pm
Calgary Farmers’ Market / FacebookCalgary Farmers’ Market will be transformed into a romantic getaway that you won’t want to miss out on this month (and it’s just in time for Valentine’s Day!). From entertainment, lovey decorations, a photo booth and some arts and crafts, this could be a perfect way to spend a more than fantastic day with your valentine.
- Where: Calgary Farmers Market – 510 77th Avenue SE
- When: February 11th from 11am to 3pm
Live music and entertainment, artisan vendors, and sweets. These are just a few of the things you can look forward to when you head down to Calgary’s Night Market this month. Shop around with some of your friends and family, and make sure to have a great time!
- Where: Eau Claire Market, 200 Barclay Parade SE
- When: February 10 from 5 to 11pm
The Kinkonauts are putting together a comedic improv show in Calgary this month. Every hour for 26 hours, the Kinkonauts will provide humours and sleep deprived performances for everyone to enjoy and to laugh at.
- Where: The Kinkonauts Lab, 112 16th Avenue NW, on the 2nd floor
- When: February 10 and 11, starting at 8pm on the 10 and ending at 10pm on the 11
In teams of 4 you will compete to see who can get closest to the button while sliding around on the ice. Each member of the team must slide 3 times, and the registration will begin at 11:30am each day of the event. So, grab your most competitive friends and family and head over to Olympic Plaza for a day filled with (hopefully friendly) competition.
- Where: Olympic Plaza – 228 8th Avenue SE
- When: Until February 10 from 11:30am to 1pm
Canada’s National Ballet school is offering free dance programs for all Canadians in order to share their love for dance. While Sharing Dance Day isn’t until June 2, free dance classes are being held in Calgary as to prepare us for the main performance. No experience is required, so no matter what kind of dancer you are – this is a great opportunity to get some exercise and to have a little fun with your loved ones.
- Where: Wildflower Arts Centre – 3363 Spruce Drive SW
- When: Every Saturday until May 27 from 3:30 to 4:30pm
- Where: Studio 4 Decidedly Jazz Danceworks – 111 12th Avenue SE
- When: Every Wednesday starting February 8 from 7:30 to 8:30pm
Interested in some indoor show jumping? This month’s February Classic series is a great way to engage in some excitement and competition. Grab some friends and family and head over for a jumpin’ good time!
- Where: 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
- When: February 18 to 19 and February 25 to 26
The community of Westgate is throwing together a Winterfest this month for an all ages party and celebration. Aside from the fact that it’s free, the best part is probably the fireworks, the crafts, and the family skate.
- Where: Westgate Community Hall – 4943 8 Avenue SW
- When: Saturday, February 11 from 5 to 7pm
Head over to the Cultural & Arts Market to celebrate Calgary diversity and black history month! With multicultural and Canadian vendors, you’re sure to have a great time shopping around while listening to some live music.
- Where: Eau Claire Market Mall (Centre Court and Motion Gallery), 200 Barclay Parade SW
- When: February 26 from noon to 7pm
The Chinese Cultural Centre will be celebrating the Chinese New Year of the Rooster this month in order to finish off celebrating the start of 2017. The carnival will include festival music and dance, Chinese lantern displays and riddles, festival food, and many more. Not only is it free, but it’s a great excuse to have one last hoorah to commemorate 2017.
- Where: Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre – 197 1st Street SW
- When: February 11 from 10am to 7:30pm