Bicycle theft rates are actually down in Calgary, though you wouldn’t be able to tell based on the number of people who tried to steal a bait bike that was being watched by Calgary’s Mountain Bike Unit.
The police officers were carrying out Operation Hot Seat, which is aimed to curb the number of bicycle thefts in downtown Calgary, according to a release from CPS.
- Temporary shipping container mural installed in East Victoria Park
- 8 resorts around the Calgary area that you need to experience
- UPDATE: Expectations vs. Reality: A first-timer's trip to the Calgary Stampede
Over the course of two days and one night, nine different people attempted to steal a bike that was being watched by police officers. All nine offenders were arrested and charged.
The total number of charged laid throughout the operation landed at 54, which included multiple charges related to drugs, identity card theft, possession of stolen property, breach of recognizance, and breach of probation order.
So far this year the Calgary Police Service has received 1,190 reports of bicycle thefts, which is somewhat lower than last year’s total halfway through the year.
Even so, 2017 saw over 3,600 reported bike thefts, and CPS said in the release that they would like to greatly reduce that number for 2018.
The release also included some tips for riders who would like to keep their bikes from being stolen in Calgary:
- Ensure the bike is locked up properly by securing the wheels and the bike frame to a solid object
- Use multiple locks
- Take easily removable items with you, such as bells, seats, and lights
- Never leave your bike locked in an easily accessible place for long periods of time, such as overnight
- Avoid securing your bike in a predictable fashion, such as putting it in the same bicycle rack in the same place every day
- Ensure garages and storage sheds are locked
- Record your bike’s serial number and take photos of your bike to assist in recovery
- Report your bike if it is lost or stolen by going to Calgarypolice.ca and filling in an online report