The Toronto Raptors appear to be gaining more international fans.
The NBA has announced that Raptors forward Yuta Watanabe has the league’s most popular jersey in Japan. Meanwhile, the Raptors led the league in merchandise sold from the official online NBA Store in Japan.
The Yokohama native is followed on this year’s list by Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, countryman Rui Hachimura, LeBron James, Luka Doncic, Chris Paul, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Carmelo Anthony, and LaMelo Ball.
- See also:
Watanabe, 26, is in his first season with the Raptors, after two years with the Memphis Grizzlies.
In 2019, Watanabe was also at the top of the most popular jersey list when he played for Memphis. But this season, his popularity in Japan has only grown.
Meanwhile, Toronto makes their first appearance on the team merchandise sales list in Japan, coming in ahead of the Brooklyn Nets, Los Angeles Lakers, Golden State Warriors, and Washington Wizards.
Here is the full list of top-selling jerseys and team merchandise:
Top 10 most popular NBA jerseys:
- Yuta Watanabe, Toronto Raptors
- Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
- Russell Westbrook, Washington Wizards
- Rui Hachimura, Washington Wizards
- LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers
- Luka Dončić, Dallas Mavericks
- Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
- Carmelo Anthony, Portland Trail Blazers
- LaMelo Ball, Charlotte Hornets
Top 5 most popular team merchandise:
- Toronto Raptors
- Brooklyn Nets
- Los Angeles Lakers
- Golden State Warriors
- Washington Wizards