The warning is in effect for the following areas:
- Metro Vancouver – central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
- Metro Vancouver – North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
- Metro Vancouver – northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
- Metro Vancouver – southeast including Surrey and Langley
- Metro Vancouver – southwest including Richmond and Delta
“A favourable set up for widespread low elevation snow over the south coast is shaping up for Tuesday and Tuesday night,” said the weather agency.
“A front will track down the BC coast beginning Tuesday morning and combine with a cool airmass to produce snow across the lowlands.”
Snowfall amounts will vary across the region, and anywhere from 5 to 20 cm is expected.
“The highest amounts are likely over Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley where the snow will persist the longest, until Tuesday night or Wednesday morning,” said Environment Canada.
The snow isn’t expected to last long, as rain is forecasted to move in over the region on Wednesday, and a “flow of milder Pacific air” will return.