Third in the Canada, 51st in the world.
However, UBC’s latest ranking represents a drop from the previous year when it ranked 45th. Its ranking has fluctuated over the years, having ranked 43rd in 2015 and 50th in 2016.
Comparatively, BC’s second largest university, Simon Fraser University, landed at the 245th tied spot.
At 31st place overall, the University of Toronto had the best ranking of all the Canadian institutions, followed closely by McGill University at 32nd.
The top five universities globally were the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, Harvard University, California Institute of Technology, and the University of Cambridge.
Here are the Canadian universities that made it to this year’s QS World University Rankings:
- University of Toronto (#31)
- McGill University (#32)
- University of British Columbia (#51)
- University of Alberta (#90 tied)
- Universite de Montreal (#130)
- McMaster University (#140)
- University of Waterloo (#152)
- University of Western Ontario (#=210)
- University of Calgary (#217)
- Queen’s University at Kingston (#=224)
- Simon Fraser University (#=245)
- Dalhousie University (#=279)
- University of Ottawa (#=289)
- University of Victoria (#=346)
- Laval University (#378)
UBC faired far better in the separate, annual Academic Ranking of World Universities, which ranked the institution as the second best in Canada behind the University of Toronto and 34th globally in 2016.