Police identify suspect linked to 7 alleged sexual assaults in Coquitlam

Jan 30 2020, 11:37 am

A suspect linked to seven alleged sexual assaults in Coquitlam has been identified by police.

The Coquitlam RCMP says in a media release that the individual was discovered by plainclothes investigators and was previously unknown to police.

Details about the suspect are scarce, but Corporal Michael McLaughlin, Media Relations Officer at the Coquitlam RCMP, notes there may be underlying factors at play.

“There are extenuating circumstances involving this suspect that may have played a role in these alleged assaults,” says McLaughlin in a statement. “Due to privacy concerns, we cannot go into detail about this suspect’s circumstances, but everyone should know that public safety is our number one priority.”

The seven alleged sexual assaults took place in and around Coquitlam’s Glen Park between November 2019 and January 2020.

Each incident targeted an adult woman. Police note that each occurrence was “over very quickly” and “ended with the suspect running away.”

The Coquitlam RCMP Sex Crimes Unit is working with the BC Prosecution Service, as well as community partners, to determine the best course of action.

At this point in time, police say it’s “unknown if that will be criminal charges or something else.” It’s also noted that systems are in place to “ensure that the area of Glen Park will stay safe.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Coquitlam RCMP at 604-945-1550.