A new COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at Burnaby Hospital, just days after the initial outbreak was declared over.
According to Fraser Health, evidence of transmission was discovered in a medicine unit and three patients at the hospital tested positive for coronavirus.
“The outbreak is limited to the medicine unit, which is temporarily closed to admissions,” says Fraser Health in an emailed statement. “The hospital, including the Emergency Department, remains fully operational.”
The health authority notes that at this point in time, all patients have been notified of the outbreak, as well as the families of patients. Additional precautions such as enhanced cleaning and contact tracing are also underway.
- See also:
The first outbreak, which began on November 9, grew to over 100 cases in early December, and over 10 people had died. It was declared over by Fraser Health on December 11.
Health officials previously said that a fire in the hospital contributed to the spread of the virus during the initial outbreak because patients needed to be moved swiftly to get to safety.
“At this time, it is critically important for people living in the Fraser Health region to use the COVID-19 assessment tool and get tested as soon as you have COVID-19-like symptoms, even mild ones,” says Fraser Health. “Please don’t wait, and book or drop by one of our collection centres which are operated in partnership with local Divisions of Family Practice.”