The COVID-19 outbreak at Burnaby Hospital has been declared over by Fraser Health.
The outbreak, which began on November 9, grew to over 100 cases in early December, and over 10 people had died.
- See also:
“Fraser Health immediately implemented precautions, including enhanced cleaning, as well as contact tracing to protect the health of all staff, medical staff, and patients. With the implementation of comprehensive strategies, there is no longer an outbreak,” said the health authority.
Health officials have previously said that a fire in the hospital contributed to the spread of the virus because patients needed to be moved swiftly to get to safety.
Additional outbreaks declared
In a statement, Fraser Health also noted additional outbreaks at long-term care facilities including Agassiz Seniors Community, Hilton Villa Seniors Community, and St. Michael’s Centre.
“Fraser Health has declared outbreaks at all three sites, and a Fraser Health rapid response team is at each site. Communication with residents and families is underway.”
BC health officials will provide a written update on Friday afternoon with the latest COVID-19 case count in the province.