Man banned from Metro Vancouver for "multiple offences"

Oct 22 2019, 2:39 pm

A Port Coquitlam man has now been banned from being in the Metro Vancouver region, after he was charged with “multiple offences,” police said this week.

According to Ridge Meadows RCMP, the investigation began on September 9, after police responded to a report of break-and-enter at a residence in the in the 18900 block of 118B Avenue in Pitt Meadows.

As part of the investigation, “neighbourhood inquiries were completed and video surveillance was obtained,” police said.

As a result, “officers were able to determine that several break-and-enters in the area were linked to the same suspect.”

The suspect turned out to be “well-known” to police, and on September 27, Kalman Hlavacs was arrested in Vancouver “without incident,” in connection with the crimes.

Police said that during the investigation, they found “multiple files” on the suspect, some of which date back to July of this year.

As a result of the investigation, Hlavacs was charged earlier this month with one count of Break and Enter With Intent to Commit Offence, and two counts of Failure to Comply With Probation.

He also received 11 conditions, as a result of the arrest and charges, with one of them being that he is not to be in the Greater Vancouver area “except to attend pre-scheduled court appearances and he must leave the Greater Vancouver area immediately after proceedings,” according to police.

“The resources we have must be focused on making significant impacts,” said Ridge Meadows RCMP Supt. Jennifer Hyland. “This is a great example of how and why we do that and, as a result, we have a prolific offender who cannot be in just our community, but the greater Vancouver area as well.”

Police said more charges are expected against Hlavacs, pending his appearance in Port Coquitlam Provincial Court this week.