FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
Become a tourist in your own city this weekend by taking part in the annual Jane’s Walk Festival.
These free citizen-led walking tours put people face to face in spontaneous conversations about where their communities are headed—locally and around the world in nearly 200 cities across 6 continents.
The annual festival celebrates the memory of the late Canadian activist and urbanist Jane Jacob.
This year includes both new and returning walk tours, including:
- Remembering the Future of Hogan’s Alley explores Vancouver’s historically black neighbourhood and its historic relationship to Chinatown and Strathcona. Experience the sights, sounds, and textures of a place that was demolished in the name of building Vancouver’s downtown freeway, and a neighbourhood that survives today.
- Interpreting Coal Harbor with Larry Beasley, former Co-Director of Planning for the City of Vancouver, will cover all of Coal Harbour and reflect on the upland neighbourhoods and the transformation of Downtown Vancouver.
- An Archaeological Tour of the Habitat Forum 1976 site at Jericho Beach unearths the history of Habitat Forum, a major two-week public event and part of the UN Habitat Conference on Human Settlements Vancouver in 1976.
- Collective housing as an Ownership Model This tour will visit ‘The Zulla’, ‘The Dreamhaus’ and the ‘Villa Thrilla’, three collective houses in the Commercial Drive/Trout Lake neighbourhood that are owner-occupied. We’ll see how these homes incorporate collective practices into their living environment.
- The Beanstalk Collective House in Shaughnessy is leading a tour of their intentional community, set in a heritage house in Vancouver’s westside! This walk will engage participants in dialogues around intentional living, sharing resources, and zero waste philosophies.
- The Hillcrest Stroller Walk connects parents in a fun walk through Riley Park, sharing hidden outdoor destinations, and tips for surviving the first years of parenthood in Vancouver.
When: May 4 to 6
Where: Various locations and times. Visit website for details.